Saturday, August 16, 2008

Days of Our Lives: Alternative StoryLInes

EXT: EJ'S CAR: LATE AFTERNOON
Ava is on one knee. Embarrassed, EJ tries to pull her to her feet.

AVA
I'm not getting up until you give me an answer.

EJ
How can I answer that?

AVA
Yes, is my personal preference.

EJ
You don't understand.

Stanley is walking back toward them.

I'm not the same person.

AVA
As I said, we both have done things we aren't proud of. Do you think any less of me?

EJ
That's different.

AVA
How?

STANLEY
(To EJ)
What are you waiting for? She loves you. You love her. Stop stalling and say yes.

EJ
You don't understand.

STANLEY
What? What don't I understand? True love is the balm that heals all wounds.

EJ
Life isn't that simple.

STANLEY
It's only as complicated as you chose to make it.

AVA
EJ, I love you. I never stopped. I only let go because I wanted you to be happy.
EJ
You deserve someone better.

AVA
There is no one better for me than you.

EJ
After all my mistakes--

STANLEY
If you could go back, would you do things differently?

EJ
In a heartbeat. But I can't go back unless you let me borrow your time machine. Mine is broken.

STANLEY
Sorry. The Delorean hasn’t come back from the future yet. You can’t change the past, but you can make a new future. If you’ve changed in your heart, then you can make that new future.

AVA
Still waiting down here.

STANLEY
Look in your heart. What does it want?

EJ turns away. He looks toward the horse, the house and the field beyond.

Everyone makes mistakes. It what you do afterward that reveals who you are at your core.

EJ
(Slowly turning to look at Ava)
I’m not the same man.

AVA
I still see my hero.

EJ
(Slowly walking towards her and kneeing in front of Ava)
I’m not perfect.

AVA
So who asked you to be.

EJ
I’ll make mistakes.

AVA
So will I.

EJ
When I look in my heart, I still see you and the dreams we had.

AVA
Marry me and we’ll make them real.

EJ passionately kisses her.
FADE
INT/EXT SCENES IN THE PAST
Kaleidoscope of images of their past together. Bored eight year old EJ stands on the villa balcony during one of Stefano’s formal parties, he is about to make his escape when Ava walks out. She looks over her shoulder at her mother in the doorway. Her mother nods and Ava goes to play with EJ. The scene freezes. Dressed in old cut offs and t-shirts, nine year olds EJ and Ava climb trees together and chase frogs at a stream. They have a mud fight. The scene freezes. They race horses together across a field. The scene freezes. Early teen EJ and Stefano walk into formal winter ball at the Vitali home. Ava walks down the stairs, wearing formal gown. They can’t take their eyes off of one another. She reaches the bottom of the stairs; she offers her hand to him. He takes it; their fingers intertwine and the scene freezes. They watch movies together and fall asleep in each other’s arms. The scene freezes. They are having a picnic together on a field. Their horses graze together a short distance away. EJ gentle runs a wild flower along Ava’s cheek. He drops the flower and cups her chin in his hand. They passionately kiss, laying back on the blanket. The scene freezes.
FADE

EXT: EJ’S CAR: BACK TO PRESENT DAY LATE AFTERNOON
Ava and EJ kissing while kneeling. They pull each other closer, becoming more passionate.

STANLEY
I take that as a yes.

Startled, Ava and EJ look at him.

Yep, I’m still standing here. The horses are saddled and ready when you are.

AVA
I want to show EJ the house first.

STANLEY
Good enough. I’ll fill a spray bottle full of cold water and give you the tour. You can start initiating the rooms in two weeks. It took us about three days to do the whole house, including the attic and basement.

EJ
It took you that long? You must be have been old when you moved in.

STANLEY
(Sexual innuendo)
We did each room proper. There wasn’t a need to rush.

EJ
I always do it more than proper.

AVA
(Standing)
Shouldn’t one of you be pulling a ruler out about now? If you are talk about it, we named it Hercules. If it was me, be very careful what you say next.

EJ
Sorry Darling.

STANLEY
(Chuckling)
Hercules? One of us just started singing Stairway to Heaven.
(Under his breath as he walks toward the house)
Talk about delusions of grandeur.

EJ
Thanks for that.

AVA
Anytime my cuddly Greek demigod.

STANLEY
(Stopping at the top of the stairs)
Coming? Never mind. Change that. Follow me.

EJ
(Slowly standing)
He started it.

AVA
Keep it up and I’ll finish for you he-men.
They start to follow Stanley.

Was the ground always so hard? I don’t remember my knees hurting as much.

Ava chuckles and drapes her arm around him.

AVA
Maybe it's just time for you to get off them.
CUT
INT: SECOND FLOOR HALLWAY OF EJ AND AVA’S NEW HOUSE: LATE AFTERNOON
Stanley shows them the bedrooms upstairs. Although the rooms aren't large, they could be best described as cozy. The master bedroom is at the top of the stairs. It is decorated with the decades they spend together. Down the hall there are three doors on the left side of the hall and two more on the right. At the end is the doorway that leads to the bathroom.

STANLEY
This is our room. Most people would call it the master bedroom.

AVA
What do you call it?

STANLEY
The heart of our home. It’s where we loved, argued and made up. We cried when life was tough and laughed when sometimes that was that was left to do. The joy we spread throughout the house. Here in private...Well, let me show the rest of the rooms.

EJ
How many bedrooms are there?

STANLEY
Six, including this one.

EJ
Why do we need a six-bedroom house?

AVA
For us and our four kids. Plus we’ll need a guest room.

EJ
You still want four?

AVA
(Following Stanley down the hall)
Definitely. You promised me two girls and two boys. And mister, I’m holding you to it.

STANLEY
(Stopping at the first door on the left)
This was Melody’s room. She was our tomboy. There was no one better with the horses. Talk about wild. She started giving me gray hair before she was out of diapers. She wasn’t afraid of anything or anyone. There wasn’t a horse that had been born that she couldn’t calm just by talking to um. She was the one who started sending the Mustangs here. Eventually the house would have been hers.

The room still contains mementos of Melody’s life--tropheys and ribbons from horse riding competitions she won. Pictures of her on horse back. College graduation. Wedding pictures.

Her and her husband Mark were killed by a drunk driver five years ago.

AVA
I’m so sorry. This will be Susan’s room.

EJ
Susan? Who’s Susan?

AVA
Our first daughter. We’re going to name her after your mother.

EJ
That’s very nice darling. But don’t I have a say.

AVA
We already agreed. Our girls will be Susan after you mother and Katherine Marie after my grandmother. The boys will be Elvis Junior.

EJ
Not going to happen. Susan and Katherine are fine. But we’re not going to continue that Presley thing my father started.

STANLEY
So don’t do Presley. Do Johnny Cash instead and call one of your boys, Sue.

EJ
That’s not funny.

AVA
(Playing along)
I never thought of that. Susan Elvis DiMera.

EJ
Not happening.
(Pointing to the room across the hall)
Whose room was this? Did you really have five children?

STANLEY
This was Ricky’s room. The next one was Mickey’s room. They were born five minutes apart and died in Vietnam three days apart. Mickey’s plane went down just north of Danang. Ricky and his squadron went to look for him. All three planes disappeared.

(Walking down the hallway, he stops at the second door on the left)

This was Matt’s room. The day he turned seventeen he packed his bags and moved to Canada. It was six months after his brothers were killed. We didn’t have the heart to stop him.

EJ
Is he still there?

STANLEY
(Quickly walking past the door)
I don’t know. We never heard from him again.

He stops before he reaches the final door. It is the only one that is closed.

That would have been Tessa’s room.

AVA
Would have been?

STANLEY
She died two months after she was born. God decided that he missed her too much and he took her back one night.

EJ
With so much sadness. How could you stay here?

STANLEY
Sad? We were blessed to have that beautiful angel in our lives for two months. She was a gift from God as were all our children. You see only the loss. We were grateful for every moment we had with them--all of them.

AVA
I couldn’t be that strong.

STANLEY
It’s not strenght. Just a knowing that their souls existed before they came into our lives and they existed after they left. Nothing has changed but their location. We loved them when they were here. We still love them now when they are not.

EJ
Why is the door closed?


Ava walks down the hallway and opens the door. It remains a nursery. Well kept and dated, yet still bright and cheery.

AVA
(Taking a step in)
It’s beautiful.

STANLEY
(Suddenly walking toward the stairs)
It’s time to take care of business so you can explore your new home.

Startled EJ and Ava stare after him as his disappears downstairs.
CUT
INT: HOSPITAL WAITING ROOM: LATE AFTERNOON

ROMAN
They don’t have to leave town! Salem PD can protect them.

KATE
You’ve done such a good job.

JOHN
You can’t even protect your own in your own back yard.

ROMAN
Katie, please. What are implying? That another cop is involved?

JOHN
It wouldn’t be out of the realm of reality.

SAMI
They took really good care of us at the safe house before.

JOHN
That was different. It didn’t involve one of their own.

ROMAN
It’s not a cop!

KATE
What makes you so sure?

JOHN
How did he or she know your procedures?

ROMAN
I don’t know. But I guarantee that we’ll find out?

JOHN
Until that time, Little Blondie and her-her... what exactly is he to you?

SAMI
The love of my life.

JOHN
Fine. Little Blondie’s amour du jour.

SAMI
John!

MARLENA
Sami! John, do you have something else in mind.

JOHN
Of course. They can’t go any where that is listed in the police data banks.

SAMI
Then where do you suggest?

ROMAN
This isn’t necessary.

MAGGIE
I think John’s is right. My only question is how much danger is Mickey in? We can assume this is connected to what happened in prison.

JOHN
That was my take.

ROMAN
Mine too. Which is why Lucas will be safe. Whoever did this, killed a police officer. We don’t take kindly to it.

JOHN
Obviously. They aren’t afraid of you.

ROMAN
To answer you question Maggie. Mickey not only got Lucas out, but he documented the abuse.

MAGGE
Oh my God. You have to tell him.

ROMAN
He knows. He also has 24-7 security.

MAGGIE
Why didn’t he tell me?

ROMAN
He didn’t want you to worry.

MARLENA
John.

JOHN
I’ve been going through Stefano’s interests. He owns many fun little spots that he used to disappear. None of which can be tied directly to him. All of them are very secure. Two of which are in the area. No doubt he found it amusing as the Salem PD, ISA and the Brady bunch pursued him down around the world. He had you chasing your tails and he was within driving distance of the station house.

MARLENA
Are you offering?

JOHN
Only if you are also accepting.

MARLENA
Why me?

JOHN
Why not? Besides Lucas will need medical care. Do you want to risk bringing a stranger in? Besides, you can help keep the rug rats from annoying me.
(To Maggie)
You and Mickey too.

MAGGIE
Mickey won’t leave. Not in the middle of an investigation.

KATE
What investigation? He’s a lawyer, not a detective. The detectives aren’t even much of a detective.

ROMAN
That was uncalled for.

KATE
Really? How many times did Stefano get away? John, just said he never left. Could you find him? No. So what different this time.

ROMAN
Katie, please calm down.

KATE
I don’t want to calm down. I want so answers.

ROMAN
I don’t have them yet. But I will.

MARLENA
What do we do until then?

JOHN
Come to my cabin in the woods.

SAMI
Cabin? There won’t be room for all of us.

JOHN
Stefano’s idea of a cabin is 13 bedrooms, 36 rooms on a private lake.

SAMI
Forget I said anything. Count us in.

JOHN
Well Blondie are you up to roughing it?

MARLENA
Well, as long as it has a lake.
JOHN
Maggie?

MAGGIE
Mickey won’t leave and I won’t leave him.

JOHN
Do you want me to talk him into it?

MAGGIE
You can try. I already know the answer.

ROMAN
It seems. I’m no longer needed.

SAMI
Dad.

ROMAN
Don’t worry Sami. I’m not going away mad. There is nothing more I can do here and I have a date tonight. I’ll have Bo send over a security team to protect Lucas.

Roman walks past the elevator and walks through the stairway door.

SAMI
I didn’t mean to hurt his feelings.

MARLENA
His feelings are only mildly bruised. He’ll get over it. So John, where is this sanctuary?

JOHN
Let me take care of everything. I just need to know what the timetable is.

MARLENA
Lucas will most like be kept for at least a couple of days

JOHN
Good enough. It’ll be ready.

KATE
You have to tell me.

JOHN
Why? You’d be a weak link.

KATE
Lucas is my son.

JOHN
He’s also a grown man. It’s time you learn that point.

SAMI
Not a word.

MAGGIE
Me either.

MARLENA
What John is trying to say is that if you knew you would be a target.

JOHN
I don’t need a translator.

MARLENA
Really? There are a lot of things you say and do that I don’t understand.

JOHN
Maybe this little adventure will change that.
CUT

INT: ABE AND LEXIE LIVING ROOM: EARLY EVENING
Celeste is playing with Theo on the floor with his trucks. Lexie is talking to Abe on the phone. The women’s eyes can be seen watching through the kitchen window.

LEXIE
Is there anything I can do? Okay. I understand. How late do you think you’ll be? I don’t care. I’ll wait up anyway. Love you too.
(Hanging up the phone)
There was an officer killed this afternoon.

CELESTE
Could have been the target?

LEXIE
No. It had nothing to do with us.

CELESTE
Are you sure?

LEXIE
He was bringing evidence back from Salem Square. He was attacked behind the station and the evidence was stolen.

CELESTE
Alexandra, you don’t understand. Soon if she can’t do so already, she will be able to influence others. She can use them to do what she can’t. She can’t force them to do anything out of character. She can’t make a good person do evil. But if the evil is already there, she can use it like a puppeteer control a marionette.

LEXIE
Okay, Mom. This is it. Once and for all. Who is this she?

CELESTE
You are right. You do need to know.

LEXIE
Finally.

CELESTE
Stefano used her. He controlled her and she didn’t see it until it was too late. That’ why when she learned she was pregnant with his child she hid it. Just like I did with you. She wouldn’t let his evil poison her daughter. For that she paid dearly for. And God help me, even knowing what I knew about him. I helped him.

The pane of the window cracks.

She’s here. Take Theo upstairs.

LEXIE
I’ll call Abe!

CELESTE
Just do what I say.

The back door rattles.

LEXIE
(Picking up Theo and running toward the stairs)
Mom!

CELESTE
Lord forgive this soul wandering in the shadows of ignorance. Lord- light the lamp of knowledge for this being wasting opportunities to move forward to illumination... Spirit hear my voice that demands you progress!

The door bows inward.

You who causes me chaos with your evil energies- STOP! DESIST!

The door is blown inward off its hinges. The force violently knocks backward against the wall. Unconscious, Celeste slides down the wall, leaving a blood trail. The woman’s shadowy form stands in the doorway. Theo struggles and frees himself from Lexie. He runs to stand in the kitchen blocking the woman’s path

LEXIE
(Screaming)
Theo!

THEO
You are a bad lady! Go away!

The woman vanishes. Terrified, Lexie runs down the stairs and grabs Theo, carrying her back to Celeste. Celeste doesn’t move. Blood pools around her head.

LEXIE
Mom!
CUT

No comments: