Monday, August 18, 2008

Alternative Storylines for Days of Our Lives Part 25

EXT: FIELD BEHIND FARMHOUSE: EARLY EVENING
Stanley, EJ and Ava are on horseback. The horses casually walk up the small hill. The hill overlooks the house, barn and the corrals.

STANLEY
(Pointing the left of the house)
We've been rotating the grain fields. This year it's planted over there. Next, it's scheduled behind the barn.
(Pointing to the right of the house)
The year after over there. James Mitchell and I have an agreement. He plants and harvest. We split the profits 50/50. This year is a done deal. As for next, that's between you and him.

AVA
You’re going to be just down the road. It’s not like you’re going far.

STANLEY
For now.

EJ
Hopefully for a long while.

STANLEY
What will be, will be. The horses only stay in a pasture a week at a time. To much longer, and the ground gets too beaten down.

EJ
I was really hoping to ride one of the mustangs.

STANLEY
Those were Melody’s horses. She could ride them bare back without a bridle. Anyone else...they weren’t so nice too.

EJ
Are they dangerous?

STANLEY
No. Just particular on who they let on their back.
AVA
Did you ever thing to ask their permission before you just jumped on?

STANLEY
That’s what Melody used to say.

EJ points to the two-acre area behind the barn. It has been cleared as is meticulously maintained. There is a pyramid of large fieldstones in the center, surrounded by even larger ones that spiral out into a circle of different kinds of trees

EJ
What’s that?

STANLEY
Our pet cemetery.

EJ
Your name is Stanley not Stephen.

STANLEY
(Laughing)
It’s not haunted or mystical. Just a place to remember and honor those who have crossed over. We called the pet cemetery because that’s how it started. When they were eight Ricky and Mickey’s gold fish died. We gave them a proper funeral. After they built that stone memorial to them in the center. I still don’t know how they got those stones out of the swamp. The stones and the trees are memorials to all sorts of furkids and to those we loved--Melody planted the apple tree in honor of her Appaloosa, Athena. She had a big thing for apples.

EJ
What’s a furkid?

STANLEY
A member of the family that has fur and four legs.

EJ
A pet.

AVA
No a special member of the family. I want one.
(Mimicking Eva Gabor portraying Lisa Douglas)
Oliver.

EJ
I’m not going to play.

STANLEY
He sounds like Oliver Douglas to me.

EJ
Don’t encourage her.

STANLEY
She doesn’t need any help from where I sit.

EJ
Fine. No cats. They hate me.

STANLEY
Then I’d stay out of the barn. Marie is a cat magnet. There is about a two dozen that live in the barn.

EJ
Swell. But Lisa had a dog. A Yorkie if I recall correctly.

AVA
But Oliver, I don’t want--

STANLEY
On that note, I’m leaving. I have a date with my beautiful Marie and I don’t to miss visiting hours.

Stanley turns his horse around and rides back toward the house.

EJ
I don’t think he was amused.

AVA
Race you to the pond.

Ava and her horse take off across the field at a gallop.

EJ
Pond? What pond?

His horse dances for a moment. EJ gets control and races after her. Stanley stops and watches them race out of sight.

STANLEY
Kids. Gotta love’em.
CUT
INT: EMERGENCY ROOM: EVENING
The paramedics rush through the doors pushing Celeste on a stretcher. She has a neck brace and is strapped to a backboard. She remains unconscious. They wheel her into an exam room. Lexie, carrying Theo, enters; she goes to the desk.

LEXIE
Natalie! They just brought my mother in. Which room?

NATALIE
Dr. Carver, you know the rules.

LEXIE
The rules be damned. I’ll search every room.

NATALIE
She’s in three.

Lexie walks toward the door.

They’re your rules. Do you really want to break them?

LEXIE
(Stopping, yet she is torn)
I wish you hadn’t said that. Who is on duty?

NATALIE
Berman’s on duty.

LEXIE
He’s good.

NATALIE
He’s on his way back down.

LEXIE
Down from where?

NATALIE
We’ve had a busy day. You know about the murdered cop.

LEXIE
Of course, I know. My husband’s the commissioner.

NATALIE
No need to be snarky. We also had an assault case. Someone you know. Lucas Horton.

LEXIE
Lucas?

NATALIE
He was badly beaten in Salem Square. They took him into surgery. We had a break and Berman went up to follow up.

The elevator doors open and Miles walks out. Immediately he goes toward exam room three.

LEXIE
The hospital rule is a doctor on duty at all times.

MILES
Do you want to write me up or do you want me go examine you mother?

Without waiting for an answer, he walks into the exam room and closes the door.

NATALIE
If you had let me explain. The resident caught the call. She was stable with strong vitals. The x-ray tech was in waiting for her. If you were acting like the chief instead of a daughter--

LEXIE
I’m sorry. I wasn’t thinking.

The x-ray tech walks out of the exam room and carries the film to the elevator.

NATALIE
You have a good staff here. Let them do their job.

LEXIE
You’re right. How’s Lucas?

NATALIE
Do you want me to call up?

LEXIE
Please.

NATALIE
I could have someone from the daycare come get your little one--

LEXIE
No! I mean. No. I want to keep him with me.

Natalie picks up the phone and dials. Lexie puts Theo down and they walk to the waiting area. Lexie paces. Theo sits in a chair and watches her.

LEXIE
She has to be okay.

THEO
Mom, Grandmer will be okay. The lady told me so.

LEXIE
What lady?

THEO
The one who was at the door. She said she didn’t want Grandmer to tell.

LEXIE
What didn’t she want Grandmer to say?

THEO
I don’t know. She told me not to worry. Grandmer would wake up when it was over.

LEXIE
What was over?

Theo shrugs his shoulders.

Mom, why didn’t you just tell us who she was in the beginning.

NATALIE
(Walking over)
Lucas Horton is out of surgery. He’s going to be fine. They stopped the internal bleeding and pinned his ribs together.

LEXIE
Thanks. I’m sorry I snapped.

NATALIE
That’s why we don’t treat our own friends or family.

The elevator doors open. John and Marlena walk out.

MARLENA
Lexie, are you alright?

LEXIE
It’s Mom. She was attacked.

MARLENA
Who?

LEXIE
We’re not sure. It has to do with the west wing of the mansion.

JOHN
You’re not talking about the evil spirit? Come on. There’s no such thing.

LEXIE
I didn’t want to believe it either. But it’s true. She attacked me this afternoon.

MARLENA
You were attacked?

LEXIE
I was going to meet Abe at the Pub. It felt like I was being watched. Then it shoved me. Collin called me.

MARLENA
Collin?

LEXIE
He and his wife, Lauren, own that shop under Baker’s Books. I ran to him. We just got inside the door and she appeared in the glass.

JOHN
You mean outside the door?

LEXIE
No in the glass. She started to materialize. Collin and Lauren prayed. But she smashed the door and grabbed me by the throat. Don’t look at me like that! I’m not crazy. It happened.

MARLENA
Why you?

JOHN
I can answer that. She’s Stefano’s daughter. According to Voodoo lady, Stefano stole her kid and locked her in the west wing until she died. With her dying breath she cursed Stefano and all of his blood. It’s very dramatic.

MARLENA
Why am I not surprised. If thought curses would work, I would have done it decades ago.

LEXIE
She is very real.

MARLENA
Did you see her?

LEXIE
Not clearly. She is very petite. I think her hair was either dark brown or black. It was swept up. She sounded southern.

MARLENA
Of the top of my head, I thought of his daughter Renee. But she never had any children.

JOHN
I searched the room before the cleaning crew showed up.

LEXIE
Did you find anything?

JOHN
Nothing. It look like no one had ever lived there.

MARLENA
Knowing Stefano, the list could be endless.

JOHN
Come on. Enemies I believe. But curses and evil spirits?

MARLENA
You are really talking to the wrong person.

JOHN
That’s right. You were the one who was possessed. You must have been scary.

MARLENA
I nearly killed you.

JOHN
I don’t remember that.

LEXIE
To bad you still aren’t a Priest.

Miles comes out of the examination room. He looks around and walks over to Lexie

MILES
Lexie.

LEXIE
How’s my mom?

MILES
She is still unconscious. The films should be back in about a half hour. I put a rush. Her EEG is normal, as are all her responses. She should be awake.

MARLENA
But she’s not?

THEO
The lady told me she wouldn’t wake up until after.

MILES
What lady? What are you talking about?

JOHN
You don’t want to know.

MILES
If it involves my patient, I need to know.

JOHN
It’ll give you a headache.

MILES
I’ve had them before.

JOHN
Okay. Celeste was attacked by an evil spirit who is out for revenge. Aren’t you glad you asked?

MILES
I need a straight answer.

MARLENA
We’re serious.

MILES
(Looking suspiciously at them)
I’m just going to ignore this part of the conversation. Lexie when I get the x-rays, I’ll come get you.

Miles walks to the room. He stops at the doorway and stares for a moment before going inside and closing the door.

MARLENA
So much for my professional reputation.

LEXIE
I don’t care what anyone thinks. I know what I saw and what I felt.

JOHN
Okay rugrat. What lady?

THEO
I’m not a rugrat. My name is Theo

JOHN
Whatever. What lady?

LEXIE
The spirit talk to him. She said mom wouldn’t wake up until after it was over.

MARLENA
What?

LEXIE
I don’t know. She attack mom when she was going to tell me her name.

JOHN
Some cultures believe that to know a person’s name is to have power over them.

MARLENA
Now you believe?

JOHN
I didn’t say that. But I do believe the answer is in that house. We just have to know where to look. Or who to ask.

MARLENA
Do you have someone specific in mind?

JOHN
Rolf and EJ. They seemed to know about the room.

LEXIE
What about Tony?

MARLENA
Good idea.

JOHN
Didn’t he just spend the last twenty years on deserted island.

MARLENA
Yes, but he would know what Stefano did before he came to Salem. The more we can piece together.

LEXIE
The better armed we’ll be.

The x-ray tech exits the elevator with the films.

I need to go.
(Extending her hand to Theo)
Come with me.
(Marlena)
I couldn’t contribute much that you don’t already know.

MARLENA
I’ll let you know what we find out.

Lexie and Theo walk into the exam room.

JOHN
Isn’t that against the rules?

MARLENA
Yes. It is. Are you ready to help me search the mansion?

JOHN
I know just where to start.

MARLENA
I thought you might.
CUT

No comments: