Saturday, August 02, 2008

Alternative Story Lives for Days of Our Lives--Part 23 Lucas goes into surgery; Bo Follows suspect alone

INT: LEXIE AND ABE'S LIVING ROOM: MID DAY
Still a little shaken, Lexie is sitting on the couch. Theo can be seen playing just outside the back door. Celeste is making tea. She alternates between watching Theo with his trucks and protectively watching her daughter. Yet she is too being watched through the kitchen window. The vague image of the woman appears in the glass. Her only distinct feature is her eyes. Celeste doesn't see her. Instead, she takes the tea to Lexie.
CUT
EXT: LEXIE AND ABE'S BACKYARD: MID DAY
Theo is playing with his trucks. He looks up and sees the shadowy figure of the woman standing outside the window. She turns to look at him, raising a single finger to shush him. He tilts his head as if he doesn't understand and continues to watch her.
CUT

INT: LEXIE AND ABE'S LIVING ROOM: MID DAY
Celeste sets the tea on the table in front of Lexie. Lexie looks up at her.

LEXIE
I don't understand. How could it be possible?

CELESTE
Many things are possible, Alexandra.

LEXIE
She came out of the glass. I saw her.

CELESTE
Your innocence kept you safe. Now that door has been opened, you must learn how to protect yourself.

LEXIE
What about Theo?

CELESTE
He is safe. I was wrong about her intention.

LEXIE
No you weren't. She tried to kill me!

CELESTE
Only because of what you did to Hope and Bo. You kept Zack from his parents. Just like Stefano kept her from her daughter. That is why she such a threat to you.

LEXIE
They have forgiven me. I was sick.

CELESTE
It doesn’t matter.

EXT: LEXIE AND ABE'S BACKYARD: MID DAY
The shadowy figure moves towards Theo. It picks up one of his toys, making it dance in mid air. Theo laughs.
CUT
INT: LEXIE AND ABE'S LIVING ROOM

CELESTE
The curse is two fold. You are 's daughter and you followed his example. That is why she has focused on you.

LEXIE
I'm not the only one. Sami asked me to do another DNA test. Lucas is the father of both her twins.

CELESTE
Did EJ know?

LEXIE
I don't know who falsified the test. Father or EJ. I've started an investigation at the hospital. I back checked the earlier tests. It wasn't an accident or a mistake.

CELESTE
Knowing them both I'm not surprised.

LEXIE
I have to warn EJ.

CELESTE
Why? After everything he and Andre did you, he deserves everything she is going to do to him.

LEXIE
He is still my half brother. Besides, being raised by Father--

CELESTE
That's no excues. EJ was always treated as a crownd prince. He was denied nothing.

LEXIE
Was he given love?

CELESTE
He was cherished as the DiMera heir.

LEXIE
That's not love.

CELESTE
It's also not abuse.
CUT
EXT: LEXIE AND ABE'S BACKYARD: MID DAY
The shadowy figure motions for Theo to follow her. Standing, he reaches for the toy. She backs up and he follows.
CUT

INT: LEXIE AND ABE'S LIVING ROOM: MID DAY

LEXIE
I still need to warn him.

CELESTE
What's the point?

LEXIE
He'll be able to protect himself.

CELESTE
How? Lauren and Collin are elders. They have wisdom and power that goes back generations to call on--and they nearly couldn't stop her. She is only going to get more powerful unless she is stopped.

LEXIE
How? How can we stop her.

CELESTE
We can't. There is only one person who can.

LEXIE
Who?

Celeste notices the shadow leading Theo away from the house.

CELESTE
Oh my God! Theo
(Jumping up)
Theo darling. Come back!

LEXIE
(Turning around)
Theo!
(Running to the backdoor)
Theo come back.

CELESTE
(Blocking the door)
You can't go out there!

LEXIE
She has my son!

CELESTE
She won't hurt him. She's using him as bait to get out of your safty zone.
(To the Shadow)
You won't hurt him. You can't.

The shadow stops and looks at Celeste, motioning for her to come out.

To hurt him would deny you your revenge.

The shadow looks at Theo then back at Celeste. She crushs the metal truck: dropping it to the ground, she vanishes. Theo picks up his destroyed toy and starts to cry, running to his mother.

THEO
She broke my truck

LEXIE
(Comforting him)
It's okay. We'll get you another.

THEO
It was my favorite.

CELESTE
It should not be possible.

LEXIE
I'll get you a better one. Promise.
(Picking up Theo and taking him to the living room)
Who can stop her?

CELESTE
I don't know if she is even stil alive after all these years. Or where she is.

LEXIE
Tell me! Abe will find her.

CELESTE
No Alexandra. meant her never to be found. Only he knows where she is. And he is in no position to tell us.

LEXIE
What if I can change that?

CELESTE
How?

LEXIE
The coma was always suspecious. But we decided not to investigate. We thought it was best for everyone if he never recovered.

CELESTE
Alexandra, you could have awakened him?

LEXIE
We don't know. I didn't try. If he knows how to stop her, I have to try now.

CELESTE
No. You can't! He will never forgive your betrayal!

LEXIE
If it’s the only way to stop her.

CELESTE
If you wake up now, he will kill you and steal your son.

LEXIE
If I don't, what will she do?

CELESTE
She will kill you and EJ then move on to the rest of us who trapped her.

LEXIE
You're saying I'm damn no matter what I do.
CUT
EXT: SALEM PUB: MID DAY
Chloe, Philip and Caroline the ambulance pulls away with sirens blaring.

CAROLINE
I can’t believe it happend in broad daylight. Right here in front of the Pub.

PHILIP
I’m going to the hospital. Chloe, come with me.

CHLOE
I need to wait for Sami.

PHILIP
I don’t want leave you here by yourself.

CHLOE
I promised Lucas.

CAROLINE
Go with him. I can tell Sami what happened.

PHILIP
There she is. All three of us can go together.

Sami walks up pushing the twins in the stroller.

SAMI
Who was in the ambulance?

CHLOE
Don’t panic

SAMI
Why should I panic? Grandma, what happened?

PHILIP
Lucas was attacked?

SAMI
Who? EJ!

PHILIP
No. Chloe and I both saw him. It wasn’t EJ.

SAMI
It doesn’t mean he didn’t hire someone. I need to get to the hospital.

CAROLINE
You can leave the twins with me.

SAMI
Are you sure?

CAROLINE
Go.

PHILIP
I’ll drive.

SAMI
I can drive myself.

PHILIP
Do you want to argue or get to the hospital safely?

SAMI
Let’s go. Thanks Grandma.

Chloe, Philip and Sami rapidly walk toward the parking lot.
CHLOE
I already called your dad.

PHILIP
Lucas specifically ask for him.

SAMI
Did he say why?

PHILIP
No. But I had the feeling that Roman would understand.

SAMI
I knew there was something going on.
CUT
INT: EMERGENCY ROOM: MID DAY
Dr. Miles Berman is writing on the chart behind the nurse’s station as he talks to the mic to the paramedics that are bringing Lucas in. Nurse Natalie (Who looks very much like Victoria Wyndham) talks to a patient at the desk. Nurse Marianne--Native American woman in her early to mid-twenties talks on the phone.

PARAMEDIC JASON CAVANAGH
(Who looks remarkably like Laurence Lau)
He's stable, but unresponsive. BP 80 over 60. Breathe shallow and labored on the right side. Nothing on the left.

MILES
What's your ETA?

JASON
We're still seven minutes out. Wait he's gone into respiratory arrest.

MILES
I authorize a Thoracocentesis.

JASON
We're pulling over.

MILES
(To the nurse closest)
Marianne, set up two with the portable x-ray and notify surgery they have an in-coming. Page my team off rounds. I’ll need them here. Call the lab and give them the heads up. We’re going to need blood gas and cross match stat.

NURSE NATALIE
There has been a back up all morning. Ralph called in sick again.

Marianne hangs up the phone.

MILES
(To Marianne)
Hung over more like it. Tell them to drop whatever else they’re doing and get those tests back asap. Tell them if I have to coming looking, Ralph won’t be the only one looking for a job.

NURSE MARIANNE
(Under her breath)
Great put me in the middle again.

MILES
I didn’t quite catch that.

NURSE MARIANNE
I’ll tell them.

MILES
That’s what I thought you said.

JASON
We’re back on the road. Breath sounds on both sides. Still shallow and labored. There is severe trauma to the lower left chest with gashes from the protruding rib fragments. There is apparaent multi-fracturing of the sixth and seventh ribs with possible displacement. BP dropping--75 over 50.

MILES
ETA

JASON
Two minutes.

MILES
Pick it up. Sound like a rib has punctured more than a lung.

JASON
We’re hooking up a second line and running it open.

MILES
Careful. Don’t drowned him before you get him here.

JASON
No really. I’ll wait till he’s on your dime.

MILES
Don’t be a smart ass and stop lolly gagging.

The elevator doors open. Roman and Bo run out, along with two ER nurses. The nurses look to Miles; he holds up two fingers and they go into room two.

Possible hemopneumothorax or pneumothorax coming in hot in less than two minutes.

They nod. One takes off down the hall. The other goes in the room. Immediately Roman and Bo run to Miles.

The Brady brothers as you live and breathe. We’ll have to catch up later. I have a patient coming in

ROMAN
He’s my son in law, Lucas Roberts.

BO
Horton.

ROMAN
That’s right.

MILES
Another member of the Brady family. Ever consider just renting out a floor.

ROMAN
You’re right. We seem to be here a lot. But this time I can help. Lucas was just here yesterday. They took x-rays that might help.

MILES
What for?

ROMAN
Lucas was involved in a beating at Statesville. From all evidence, it wasn’t the first.

MILES
Gang?

The sirens are getting louder as the ambulance approaches.

ROMAN
Not gang. But that’s all I can say. It’s an open investigation.

MILES
(To the nurses)
Get the records down here.

NURSE NATALIE
(Picking up the phone)
I got it.

BO
When did this happen?

ROMAN
I got a message from Mickey yesterday after he picked Lucas up. I just haven’t been able to get you up to speed little brother.

JASON
Put out the welcome mat pops were home

The sirens stop. Miles runs to the door and meets the two paramedics pushing Lucas on a gurney. Lucas is unconscious.

MILES
(To the nurse)
Get those records to me stat. Where is that x-ray tech?

NURSE NATALIE HUMPHREYS
On the way.

MILES
Tell him to hurry up and get in here.

NURSE MARIANNE
Right after I master being in two places at once.

NURSE NATALIE HUMPHREYS
Go. I hunt him down.

NURSE MARIANNE
Thanks a lot.

NURSE NATALIE HUMPHREYS
Any time.

The nurse reluctantly follows Miles. Startled, Roman and Bo stare at Miles.

BO
What’s up with him?

NURSE NATALIE HUMPHREYS
He’s had a rough week. His divorce was final Monday. Yesterday, his son was suspended from the lab for taking a bribe to change DNA test results.

ROMAN
Damn. Most likely, it’ll end up on one of our desks.

NURSE NATALIE HUMPHREYS
(Picking up the receiver and dialing)
I’m surprised you don’t know. The DNA tests were for your daughter’s twins.

She turns away and speaks to the person on the other end.

ROMAN
What? This can’t be happening.

BO
I thought that all was settled

ROMAN
Apparently not.

BO
Anyone call her?

The elevator doors open. Sami, Chloe and Philip exit along with the x-ray tech with a portable x-ray machine.


NURSE NATALIE HUMPHREYS
Two. Better hurry. Berman is in an ugly mood.

TECH
Like that’s news.

MILES
Quite complaining and get in here!

SAMI
Dad, where’s Lucas?

ROMAN
He just got here. He’s in with the doctor. Who called you?

SAMI
I was going to meet Lucas at the Pub. What happened?

BO
What about the two of you?

CHLOE
We’re working on a project together. We had a lunch meeting at the Pub. I went to meet Philip at our new office. Lucas followed and this big guy just attacked.

SAMI
Why would he do that? Dad, what’s going on?

ROMAN
Sami calm down. You know as much I as do.

PHILIP
He was six one maybe six-two. Bout 200 pounds. Brownish short hair.

ROMAN
Miltary style.

PHILIP
Yea. You could say that

BO
Do you know who he is?

ROMAN
Not who, but what.

A nurse steps off the elevator carrying x-rays and hospital records.

NURSE NATALIE HUMPHREYS
Room two.

The nurse takes the records into the examination room.

SAMI
This has something to do with yesterday. Why you wouldn’t let me talk to Lucas.

ROMAN
I can’t talk about an on-going investigation.

SAMI
Investigation! What kind of investigation? Does it have to do with the prison?

BO
That was swift.

PHILIP
I’d better call Mom. She’ll freak even worse if she hears some other way.

CHLOE
I’ll call Caroline.

BO
Don’t go far. We’ll need more details.

PHILIP
We’ll be right outside.

BO
I’ll go with you.

The threesome exit out the emergency room door. The x-ray takes the films and gets back on the elevator.

SAMI
I can’t loose him.

ROMAN
Lucas is tough. He’ll make it.

SAMI
I just go him back. I was going to tell him. We have such good news.

ROMAN
Good news. Does it have to do with DNA tests?

SAMI
Wow! News gets around fast. I just found out.

ROMAN
Found out what?

SAMI
The tests were wrong. Dad, Lucas is the both the twins fathers.

ROMAN
You see good news.

SAMI
What if it’s too late? What if Lucas doesn’t make it?

ROMAN
Samantha Jean, I won’t have you talking negatively about my grandchildren’s father--all my grandchildren. You understand. You keep postive and say a prayer.

SAMI
You’re right. I already had one miracle today. God wouldn’t take Lucas from us now.

ROMAN
Does EJ know?

SAMI
(Nodding)
He found out the same time I did. In Mickey’s office. I went to see him after I filed the annulment papers to work out custody for Johnny. I didn’t want to do to EJ and Johnny what I did to Lucas and Will.

ROMAN
Now you won’t have to.

SAMI
EJ is out of our lives forever.

ROMAN
How do you feel about that?

SAMI
Finally free. Do you think EJ had anything to do with this?

ROMAN
No

Miles walks out of the room and goes to Roman

MILES
He conscious.

ROMAN
Can we talk to him? This is his--wife, Sami.

SAMI
How is Lucas? Can I see him?

MILES
The broken ribs punctured his left lung and nicked an artery. We’re not even waiting for the films to take him to surgery to get the bleeding under control.

SAMI
I need to see him. Dad, I need to tell him.

MILES
Whatever it is it will have to wait.

The door opens and the nurses push the gurney out. Sami runs to it.

SAMI
Lucas.

MILES
It can wait. Take him up!

ROMAN
Give them a sec. What she has to tell him will make a world of difference.

MILES
Not if he bleeds out. Keep going.

ROMAN
Sami, make it quick.

SAMI
(Following to the elevator)
Lucas, can you hear me.

LUCAS
(Weakly)
Sami, I love you.

SAMI
Don’t you even think about saying good-bye to your sons and daughter.

LUCAS
Sons?

SAMI
I had the test done again. Lucas, your Johnny’s father. No mistake this time. No lies. He’s your son.

Lucas reaches for her hand, but he passes out. The elevator doors open. Miles and his team push the gurney on.

He’s your son, Lucas! Johnny’s your son! Don’t you leave him.

The doors close. Sami stares at the doors.

ROMAN
We’ll get the next one.

SAMI
What am I going to do?

ROMAN
(Pushing the elevator button)
Don’t give up. You just gave him the greatest gift. He’ll fight to keep it.

The paramedics walk out carrying their equipment to the nurse’s station
NURSE NATALIE HUMPHREYS
Batman and Robin I presume.

PARAMEDIC KIM RICHARDSON
(Who looks amazingly like Alicia Coppola)
Hey, I don’t carry that kind of equipment.

JASON
I have enough for both of us.

NURSE NATALIE HUMPHREYS
Oh please.

KIM
We need to restock.

NURSE NATALIE HUMPHREYS
Fill out your paperwork for the bean counters and you can have anything you like.

JASON
(Sexual undertones)
Anything.

NURSE NATALIE HUMPHREYS
Get real. You are young enough to be my son.

JASON
I like older women.

NURSE NATALIE HUMPHREYS
I won’t date anyone who is younger than the shoes I own.

KIM
I can’t decide if you a horny dog or just a glutton for punishment.

JASON
Wow! Who’s she?

NURSE NATALIE HUMPHREYS
The wife of the guy you just brought in.

JASON
Then she’s probably busy for dinner.

The elevator doors open; Roman and Sami get on. The doors close.

KIM
(Filling out the report)
You’re hopeless.

JASON
On the contrary, I’m full of hope. Which is why I keep looking.

NURSE NATALIE HUMPHREYS
Look some place else. The guy beside her is her father and the assistant police commissioner.

JASON
Kim. Kimmie.

KIM
(Handing the report to Natalie)
Call me Kimmie and you’ll have a date with an ice pack tonight.

Kim takes the drug box into the back room; Natalie follows.

JASON
I know you love me.

KIM
(Off camera)
Just keep telling yourself that.

JASON
I will because it's true.

CUT

EXT: OUTSIDE THE EMERGENCY ROOM DOOR: MID DAY
Bo interviews Chloe and Philip about the attack.

BO
Philip, are you sure he was hanging around outside the pub?

PHILIP
He caught my attention. It wasn't anything he did. More of his posture or his mannerism.

CHLOE
His aura?

PHILIP
Sure. If you want to go New Agie. He was definitely waiting for someone or thing.

BO
So you go a good look at him then.

PHILIP
Not really. In the sandbox we learned not to focus on the individual. It could get you blind sided.

BO
So you think he wasn't alone?

PHILIP
For sure, I don't know. But there were two others had the same look. One followed Chloe across until I came out to meet her. The other walked around the back of the pub. I got a good look at the former. Same hair cut. Shorter. Dark brown. Five ten or eleven. Stocky. Jeans. Gray t-shirt. It was pulled out. When he walked away, I saw the outline of a pistol on the back of his shirt.

CHLOE
You're kidding?

Philip shakes his head.

Why didn't you say something?

PHILIP
I didn't get chance. Lucas walked out.

BO
Do you think he was waiting of Lucas?

PHILIP
In hind sight, yes. All three went to alert when Chloe and Lucas came to the door. Until then they were just very observant. Before Lucas passed out, he told me that Chloe was in danger. He didn't get a chance to tell me why.

CHLOE
I really don't like the sound of that.

PHILIP
Don't worry. I'll protect you.

CHLOE
Are you saying that I can't protect myself.

PHILIP
No. I'm saying I don't want you to have to proved it. Bo, you should know that move was textbook military. The one who attacked Lucas served.

BO
I'm not liking the sound of that at all.

PHILIP
Me either. The last thing the returning vets is to be connected to a renegade.

BO
At least it's not like after Nam.

CHLOE
Why would an ex-vet want to hurt Lucas?

BO
That's the question.

CHLOE
I just remembered. The first person Lucas asked for was Roman?

BO
Roman?

PHILIP
You're right. I thought it was strange.

BO
He's inside with Sami. I'll ask him. If I have any more questions, I'll get back to you.

CHLOE
I'll be at Chez Rouge. I'm already late for rehearsal.

BO
I heard. Congrats on the gig.

PHILIP
I'll be there too.

CHLOE
You don't have to.

PHILIP
What? And miss a chance to hear you sing? Don't be ridiculous!

CHLOE
It's a rehearsal.

BO
(Walking toward the door)
I'll let the two of you work it out. Chloe, don't go anywhere alone until we know more.

PHILIP
Now I have to come.

CHLOE
Fine. No complaining or teasing about hearing the same song a half dozen.

PHILIP
Would I do that?
CUT
INT: EMERGENCY ROOM: MID DAY
Bo walks back in. Jason is waiting for the elevator. Kim and Natalie talk at the desk. Bo walks to the desk

BO
How is Lucas?

NATALIE
They took him up to surgery. Roman and his daughter went up.

BO
How bad is it?

KIM
We nearly lost him twice on the ride in. The last time I didn't think he was coming back. Then Jason--
NATALIE
Jason what?

KIM
I'd never seen what he before. I'm not even sure it is legal for us--but it worked.

NATALIE
He's definitely a cowboy.

The elevator doors open and Jason gets on; the doors close.

So far it hasn't killed anyone.

BO
I don't recognize him.

NATALIE
He's only been here a few weeks.

BO
The city has a hiring freeze.

KIM
(Shrugging her shoulders)
No one understands it. Dean and Gerri are still laid off.

NATALIE
Rumor has it, he provided special favors to get the job.

BO
Maybe his just that good.

NATALIE
(Sexual innuendo)
The question is good at what?

KIM
He’s good, but so are Dean and Gerri. We know nothing about him. He won’t talk about himself and personnel didn’t send his file to the Chief. He just appeared about six weeks ago.

BO
When I’m elected city councilman, I’ll get the skinny on him.

NATALIE
Sure and I’ll give myself a raise when I become Chief of Staff.

BO
It’s official. I’m running.

NATALIE
You’re kidding.! I thought you loved being a cop.

BO
I do. And I can always go back to it. But I think for right now I do more good at city hall.

NATALIE
Good for you. Shawn would be proud.

BO
I think so to.
(Pointing up)
Surgery waiting room.

NATALIE
Most likely.

KIM
If you see my wandering partner tell him to stop strutting and get his butt back down here.

BO
(Walking toward the elevator)
I’ll tell him you are looking for him.
CUT
INT: DOCTOR’S LOUNGE: MID DAY
Dr,. Dan sitting at one of the tables, drinking coffee and updating a chart. Jason walks in.

JASON
(Looking around and closing the door)
I’ve been looking for you.

DAN
(Angrily)
What are you doing here?

JASON
You and you people getting careless.

DAN
I told you we can’t be seen together.

JASON
Salem PD has put the warehouses together.

DAN
It’s covered.

JASON
You turn a cop?

DAN
I own two. They just don’t know it yet.

JASON
Who are they?

DAN
Never mind.

JASON
Is the lab set up in the new warehouse?

DAN
(Walking towards the door)
You ask to many questions. Don’t ever talk to me here again. Or your out.

JASON
How can I know when and where to be to cover up your mistakes?

DAN
I’ll call if I need you. Until then get lost.

JASON
When do I get paid again? I have expenses.

Ignoring him, Dan walks out of the lounge.

JASON
Salem University hospital second floor Doctor’s Lounge. 15:25.

Camera zooms in on the mic and camera embedded in Jason’s EMT badge.
CUT






INT: BRADY PUB: MID DAY
Caroline and Pete are cleaning up from the lunch crowd and resetting for the dinner. There are a few patrons who are finishing their late lunch. Pete clears off the table. Caroline straightens behind the bar. Victor walks in and crosses to Caroline.

CAROLINE
Victor. I'm surprised to see you.

VICTOR
Philip told me what happened. I wanted to make sure you were okay.

CAROLINE
It was terrible. Lucas was bleeding so badly. I'm afraid for him.

VICTOR
Philip said they had to take him to surgery. Sami isn't doing to well. I thought you might want to be with her.

CAROLINE
Yes, I would, but I have the twins. They are napping upstairs. I just came down to check a few things.

VICTOR
We could take them to her. It might be the best medicine for both of them.

CAROLINE
I would hate to wake them. Besides the hospital rules wouldn't let them go up.

VICTOR
I forgot about that.

CAROLINE
I just don't understand how it could happen. It was in broad daylight. People were all around.

PETE
Is Lucas going to be okay? I don't know if it has to do with anything. But when I took out the trash, a guy came running around to the back. He stopped short when he saw me.

VICTOR
Did you get a good look at them?

PETE
A very good look.

CAROLINE
He also saw you. If he was involved--

PETE
I can take care of myself.

VICTOR
You shouldn't have to.
(Pulling out his cell and pushing a preset number)
I need a 24-hour security detail on the Brady Pub.
(He listens)
Starting now. I'll give them their instructions when they get here.

CAROLINE
Victor, you don't have to. I wasn't threatened.

PETE
Thanks but no thanks.

VICTOR
Philip said they had military training.

PETE
Special forces--two tours

VICTOR
Maybe I should I hire you for my security division.

CAROLINE
Don't you dare!

PETE
(Walking behind the bar)
Again. Thanks but no thanks. I've had enough.

VICTOR
If you change your mind.

PETE
(Going into the kitchen)
I won't.

VICTOR
You don't have that option. Whether you like it or not, I'll have men in front and back of the Pub at all times. Someone will also be following you--don't worry. He won't get in the way.

CAROLINE
I know that look. You won't change your mind.

VICTOR
Very sensible of you.

CAROLINE
Just one question--how long?

VICTOR
Until we understand the threat.

CAROLINE
(Walking toward the back)
Fine. But they don't have to stay outside. It's too hot.

VICTOR
I'll tell them.

CAROLINE
I need to check the twins.

VICTOR
Do you want so help?

CAROLINE
Victor, how much do you know about toddlers?

VICTOR
Good point. I'll wait down here.
CUT
INT: SURGICAL WAITING ROOM: LATE AFTERNOON
Sami paces. Roman sits, watching her.

ROMAN
Sami, you are wearing out the carpet.

SAMI
That's a stupid saying.

ROMAN
Fine. You are exhausting yourself for no reason.

SAMI
I can't sit down. How long has it been?

ROMAN
Not that long. Almost a half hour.

SAMI
What if he doesn't make it?

ROMAN
Thinking like that isn't helping you or Lucas.

SAMI
I can't help it. Good news is always followed by bad.

ROMAN
That's not true.

SAMI
Remember who you are talking to.

Kate gets off the elevator.

Every time I am happy, something or someone takes it away from me.

KATE
Roman, I got you message. What happened to Lucas? Sami, what did you do?

ROMAN
Don't even go there.

KATE
Just tell me what happened!

ROMAN
Lucas was attacked outside the Brady Pub.

KATE
When did he get out of prison?

ROMAN
Yesterday afternoon. Mickey talked the Governor into pardoning him.

KATE
Why didn't anyone tell me?

ROMAN
We didn't get a chance to.

KATE
Why not? It's not like I'm hard to find. A phone call--a quick note--By the way Kate, your son's out of prison. You can stop worrying about him being murdered in his sleep.

ROMAN
He's out.

SAMI
But we still have to worry. Is that why Mickey brought him here yesterday? He was hurt.

ROMAN
Yes. Samantha Jean that is what happened. And we needed to get the evidence and document the abuse.

KATE
Abuse?

ROMAN
I can't discuss an ongoing investigation.

KATE
Investigation? Investigation into what? He was in prison.

ROMAN
Kate. I can't talk about it.
(Turning to Sami)
But it seems Sami has some news.

KATE
Yes, I heard. She annulled her marriage to EJ. Old news.

ROMAN
No. According to a nurse, there was a new DNA test that I’ll be happy about.

SAMI
After I found out that EJ lied about the deportation.

KATE
Why aren’t I surprised. He’s a DiMera through and through.

ROMAN
Just so you know that the Homeland Security has already contacted the department. It’s not going to be pretty.

SAMI
I wasn’t sure what else he falsified. I asked Lexi to run another DNA test in secret.

ROMAN
Well?

SAMI
Congratulations. You both have another grandson.

ROMAN
Hallelujah!

KATE
Good.

SAMI
That’s it. Good?

KATE
I’ll throw a big party after I find out if my son will live!

ROMAN
Calm down! Both of you.

SAMI
I’m sorry.

KATE
Me too.

ROMAN
That’s a start.

KATE
Does EJ know?

SAMI
Yes. He wasn’t happy about it.

KATE
Could EJ be responsible--

ROMAN
We don’t know much yet. Philip gave Bo a good description of one man who might have been involved. He’s put out an APP. He’s also going to join the team canvassing Salem Square. Right now all we can do is wait. Sami, did you call your mother.

SAMI
She was in an emergency cession. One of her patients had to be admitted. I left a message with her service.

KATE
I hate waiting.

ROMAN
It isn’t fun for anyone. If you both promise to stay in your neutral corners, I’ll go to the cafeteria for coffee and sandwiches.

SAMI
I’m not hungry.

KATE
Me either.

ROMAN
We don’t know how long it will be and it’ll give me something to do.
(Walking toward the elevator)
Be good. Both of you.

Kate raises one hand and crosses her heart with the other.

Sami?

SAMI
Me too.

The elevator door opens. John walks out.

ROMAN
John? What are you doing here?

JOHN
Blonde called me. She got Sami’s message.
(To Sami)
She’s on her way back.

ROMAN
Since when are you so interested in Sami or Lucas?

JOHN
I just met Lucas. He seems nice enough. Sami, well she as sort of grown on me--like a fungus.

ROMAN
(Stepping into the elevator)
I’m going for coffee and sandwiches. I’ll leave you the great pleasure of acting as referee while I’m gone.
(Pushing a button)
Have fun.

The doors close.

JOHN
Why do I suddenly feel like a Roman just lead me into the coliseum?

KATE
You can remember ancient history--

SAMI
Don’t ask. It’ll give you a headache.
CUT
INT: HOSPITAL CAFETERIA: LATE AFTERNOON
Roman walks in. Alyessa is sitting at one of the tables, reading a book and drinking a cup of tea. Roman places his order with the man behind the counter and walks over to her.

ROMAN
Howdy, pretty lady. I don’t see you in decades and suddenly twice in one day.

ALYESSA
Strange isn’t it.

ROMAN
Everything all right?

ALYESSA
My mother is getting dialysis.

ROMAN
I’m truly am sorry.

ALYESSA
The diabetes damaged her kidneys.

ROMAN
Any chance for a transplant?

ALYESSA
Not with the diabetes. What brings you here? Business or family.

ROMAN
Both. My son-in-law was attacked.

ALYESSA
I’m sorry. Will he be okay?

ROMAN
He’s in surgery. I just came down for food and coffee. No one’s really hungry. But it gave me something to do. I hate waiting.

ALYESSA
I hear that.

MAN BEHIND THE COUNTER
Commander Brady.

ROMAN
(Walking to the counter)
It’s was nice seeing you again.

Roman pays for the order and picks up the tray. Instead of going out the door, he walks back to Alyessa.

Would you like to have dinner with me?

ALYESSA
You’re not afraid I’ll give you another black eye?

ROMAN
I’ll take the chance. Doug Williams and Chloe Lane are singing at Chez Rouge tonight.

ALYESSA
My mother used to love Doug’s Place.

ROMAN
To you take your mother on all your dates.

ALYESSA
Is that what this is? A date?

ROMAN
I was hoping so.

ALYESSA
Aren’t you married?

ROMAN
Single all day long.

ALYESSA
What about the nights?

ROMAN
Them too.

ALYESSA
I’d love to.

ROMAN
Eight o’clock?

ALYESSA
I’ll meet you there.

ROMAN
Good enough. I’ll see you tonight.

ALYESSA
I’m looking forward to it.

Roman walks out.
CUT

EXT: BRADY PUB: LATE AFTERNOON
Bo is talking to two uniform officers; he gives a computer disk to Officer Rob. The camera focus is racked to bring a clean-shaven man with a brush cut into focus. Wearing cutoffs and a t-shirt, he intently watches the officers while speaking on his cell. Bo and the officers are not aware of him.

BO
Get this to the station ASAP. Rob, tell the tech to put a rush on it. But under no circumstances does that disk leave your sight for any reason. I want at least two copies. Give the original to Abe and a copy to Hope. If you have to go to the can--hold it until after Abe gets the original. If anything happens to that original you will be answering to the meter maid. Are we clear?

OFFICER ROB
What’s the big deal?

BO
The bank camera has a clear view of not only the ATM, but also this side of the square. It will have caught everything before the attack. It will not only identify the attacker but anyone he was working with. This is more than just a simple assault. That’s all you have to know.

OFFICER ROB
Tech. Dubs. Abe or my ass.

BO
You got it.

Office Rob leaves.

Mitchell, what do you got for me?

OFFICER MITCHELL
Not much. Two women thought they saw a black SUV speeding off when they pulled into the parking lot.

BO
Any chance they got the license number.

OFFICER MITCHELL
Nope. They had no idea anything went down.

BO
Anything else.

OFFICER MITCHELL
Just a repeat of the description you put the alert out on. Gary is checking the cameras on the other side of the parking lot. They may have caught a glimpse when it pulled out.

BO
Good idea. I’m going in the pub. You might as well go file your reports.

OFFICER MITCHELL
Will do?

Bo walks toward the Pub. The man from the background meets Bo at the door. They reach for the doorknob at the same time.

MAN
Some excitement this afternoon.

BO
Did you see it?

MAN
Me. No. I just heard about it. Is Lucas going to be okay?

BO
Do you know Lucas?

MAN
Only casually. I was going to ask Mrs. Brady if she needed anything. They seem to be close.

BO
I’m her son.

MAN
Well, then it’s covered
(He starts walking away)
What’s you name?

The man walks faster. Bo follows.
CUT
EXT: SALEM POLICE STATION SIDE ENTRANCE: LATE AFTERNOON
The Statesville van is parked near the back door. It has backed in so that the rear is facing the building. The guard from Warden Gate’s officer is hanging around the smoking. However, he is very aware of the camera over the door and stays out of its view. Officer Rob pulls up in the empty spot.

OFFICER ROB
There’s no smoking on city property.

GUARD
I didn’t know. I’m from Statesville to pick up a prisoner.

OFFICER ROB
You’re at the wrong entrance.

GUARD
Am I? Sorry. Where do I need to go?

OFFICER ROB
Around the back by the jail.

GUARD
Can you show me? It’s my first day.

OFFICER ROB
(Walking towards him and past the back door)
This is the squad room entrance. If you drive back that way and follow the drive--

Just as Officer Rob walks out of view of the camera, the guard grabs him from behind and snaps his neck. Officer Rob drops to the ground. The guard searches him until he finds the disk. He casually straightens and walks to the van; again, he carefully avoids the camera.
CUT


Technorati Tags:
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: