Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Alternative Storylines for Days of Our Lives: A Marriage Proposal, Police Corruption, Leaving Town Part 24

INT: EJ'S CAR: LATE AFTERNOON
Ava is driving; Annoyed EJ is sitting in the passenger seat. They are driving on a beautiful country road

EJ
It's my car.

AVA
(Teasing)
You don't trust my driving?

EJ
I didn't say that.

AVA
You don't know where we are going.

EJ
I can follow directions.

AVA
You follow directions? Okay, sit back, relax and enjoy the ride

EJ
Very funny. I hate surprises.

AVA
You'll like this one. You always loved the country.

EJ
Not today.

AVA
Don't be such a whiny baby.

EJ
Don't start with me. I've had a dreadful day.

Ava steers the car down a long tree-lined driveway. There are field beyond on both sides. The one on the left is wild; the one on the right is fenced in and maintained. A dozen horses graze; six of them are mustangs. The drive leads to a two-story home made of fieldstone. There is a covered porch that runs the entire length of the house with hanging planters filled with bleeding hearts are suspended between the four archways. Morning glories grow up from the front of the porch up the arches until they nearly reach the roof. Five steps lead up to the wooden floored porch. There is an old-fashioned cowbell hung on a planter support next to the door as the doorbell. On the left side are a small white wicker table and two chairs. A chest set with a game in progress sets on the table. Behind the house are a two-car garage and a large barn. An old, but well maintained tractor is parked outside the barn.

Whose house is this?

AVA
Ours.

EJ
Ours?

AVA
Yep. I signed the contract this morning before I came to your office.

EJ
Why?

AVA
I wanted.

EJ
So it’s your house.

AVA
No. It’s our house. And barn and horses. Stanley and Marie happily lived here their whole married life. 50 years.

EJ
That’s a long time. Why are they selling?

AVE
(Pulling up to the front of the house and parking)
Marie had a stroke a couple of months ago. Stanley tried to take care of her himself, but he couldn’t and still take care of the farm. But he also couldn’t afford to hire someone. He had to choose between his wife and their home.

EJ
He chose his wife.

AVA
They’re moving into town.

EJ
Ava, we don’t know what going to happen in court.

AVA
Don’t be such a downer, Oliver Wendell Douglas.

EJ
Oliver Wendell Douglas? Green Acres? Does that make you Lisa?

AVA
Of course darling.

Stanley opens the front door and starts across the porch. Stanley is 60-ish, with graying hair held back in a ponytail. He is wears a blue, short sleeve work shirt with cut off jeans and suspenders. His sunglasses hide his eyes.

EJ
You’re not going to break out in song?

AVA
Maybe later.
(Opening the car door and getting out)
There’s Stanley.

EJ
Oh, good. I thought I’d have to take an ice pick to my eardrums.

AVA
What?

EJ
(Opening his car door)
Coming.
CUT

EXT: EJ CAR: LATE AFTERNOON
Stanley greets Ava at the front end of the car.

STANLEY
Welcome back. You didn't change your mind?

AVA
No. I have the check in my purse. You didn't change yours.

STANLEY
Marie and I talked it over. Instead of moving into town, we'd like to take you up on your offer.

EJ
(Walking up)
What offer is that?

AVA
There is a small cottage a little further down the road that is part of the farm.

STANLEY
We build it for my in-laws when we bought the farm. After they died, we rented it out. We never thought we'd end up being tenants.

AVA
You're not tenants, exactly. You'll be doing what you have been only being paid for it and living down the road.
(To EJ)
We're going to need help taking care of our horses.

EJ
Our horses?

STANLEY
You look confused.

EJ
There's a reason. I am.

AVA
I haven't had a chance to tell him yet. But first Stanley meet EJ. EJ, Stanley.

STANLEY
You bought a farm without telling your husband?

EJ
We're not married.

AVA
Yet.

EJ
We haven't even discussed it.

STANLEY
(Chuckling)
Young man taken from someone who has lived a little longer. I've seen that look in a woman's eye before. Last times was in Marie's, just before she reeled me in kicking and screaming.
(Walking toward the barn)
Save yourself the trouble. Just give in.

EJ
I'm not giving into anything.

Stanley walks away chuckling

AVA
Let me show you the house.
(Walking toward the stairs)
We get to keep most of the furniture. The cottage isn't big enough.
(Turning to EJ)
Coming?

EJ
No. I want to talk about this first.

AVA
(Smiling and walking back)
We now own 120 acres of field, forest, and a large pond that we will be able to watch the deer drink from as sunrise and sunset. Pointing toward the back of the property is a clear stream that has a little wooden bridge over it where you and our son can sit and fish. There is also a bit of a swamp for you to dispose of the boys who break our little girl's heart. Any of this sounding familiar?
(Pointing toward the horses)
Didn't you notice your six mustangs.

EJ
Six doesn't make a herd.

AVA
It's a start.

EJ
We were children.

AVA
Not anymore. EJ, we can still be happy. We can still make our dreams come true.

EJ
To much has happened. I don't know if I can keep you out of jail.

AVA
Learn from the past. Plan for the future. Live for today.

EJ
But what if--

AVA
(Encircling her arms around him)
No what ifs. I love you. I never stopped.

EJ
How can you after what I told you?

AVA
We've both made mistakes. We both have hurt people. But we were both manipulate by others. How much would have been different for both of us if--

EJ
Weren't you the one who said, no what if's?

AVA
When I opened the door and saw you standing there--I was seventeen again. All those years were just a bad dream that I just woke up from. We were back on the balcony of your father's villa. You were on one knee.

EJ
You said no. I wish we had run away.

AVA
I didn't want to sneak away.
(Stepping back)
Remember what you told me.

EJ
(Suspicious)
When?

Eva kneels.

I didn't mean it.

AVA
You asked last time. You said next time it would be my turn.

EJ
Ava get up.

AVA
Elvis Wells DiMera will you marry me?
CUT

EXT: SALEM PARK: LATE AFTERNOON
Bo is following the man he met in front of the Pub. The man eludes him by walking off the path and through the bushes. Bob stops at the intersection of the paths and looks around. There are people walking about. On the street outside the park, a black SUV pulls up and beeps its horn. The man bolts from out of the bush from the outer perimeter closest to the SUV. Before Bo can react, he is in the vehicle and it screeches away from the curb.

BO
(Pulling out his phone)
It’s Brady. I need to put out an immediate alert. A black SUV going north on Casper. No, I don‘t have the license plate-What happened? Rob. When? I don’t believe it. Has anyone notified his wife? Did he turn in the disk? The disk from the bank. Get out the BOL on the SUV. I think it’s connected. I’m on my way in.

(Hanging up the phone)
Damn it!
CUT
INT: CHEZ ROUGE: LATE AFTERNOON
Albert and Chloe are at the piano talking. Philip sits at the bar, watching. Maggie walks in and walks over to talk to the bartender at the end of the bar. Philip walks over to her.

PHILIP
Have you heard about Lucas?

MAGGIE
Mickey picked him up. Isn’t it great?

PHILIP
They let him out of the hospital so quick?

MAGGIE
It was just cracked ribs and a lot of bruises.

PHILIP
You haven’t heard.

MAGGIE
Heard what?

PHILIP
Lucas was attacked his afternoon outside the Pub. It was bad.

MAGGIE
Oh my God! No. I didn’t know. Shouldn't you be at the hospital?

PHILIP
I wanted to stay, but Chloe had rehearsal.

MAGGIE
Chloe can't rehearse without you?

PHILIP
Lucas said she was in danger.

MAGGIE
Why?

PHILIP
I don't know. He didn't have a chance to tell us. I've an arranged a bodyguard for her. He'll be here in a few. He'll be discreet.
MAGGIE
Does Mickey know?

PHILIP
I don't know.

MAGGIE
(Walking toward the phone)
I'll call him.

Chloe walks to the bar.

CHLOE
Any word on Lucas?

PHILIP
Not yet. I’ve arrange for a bodyguard for you. Don't ditch him!

CHLOE
I don't need-

PHILIP
Give me your word. Chloe?

Chloe crosses her heart with her finger.

Good. His name is Mark Sherman. He as a company car and will drive you wherever you want.

CHLOE
Fine. How long?

PHILIP
For as long as it takes. I'm going to the hospital. Do you want to come?

CHLOE
I would but I have to get ready for tonight.

PHILIP
The show must go on.

MAGGIE
(Returning)
Mickey is going to meet me at the hospital. He has a late meeting with a new client.

PHILIP
Do you want a ride?

MAGGIE
No. Thank you. Chloe, take care of yourself.

CHLOE
I’ll be fine. I'm going home to change and be back for my first set.

Maggie leaves.

PHILIP
Don‘t go any where without your bodyguard or me.

CHLOE
Whatever you say Father. About my allowance?

PHILIP
I'll turn you over my knee.

CHLOE
Don't you threaten me with a good time.

PHILIP
You--

CHLOE
Go. I'll be good. Promise.
CUT

INT: HOSPITAL WAITING ROOM: LATE AFTERNOON
The clock read 6:15 pm. Roman looks out the window, while occasionally looking at Marlena, who is sitting next to Sami. Maggie sits on the other side of her. John stands aloofly across the room, watching Roman and Marlena. Kate sits alone on the opposite side of the room.

SAMI
What’s taking so long?
(Standing and pacing)
They should tell us something. It’s been hours.

ROMAN
Sami, calm down.

SAMI
(Angrily)
You calm down. If it wasn’t for you--

ROMAN
Samantha Gene, that’s enough.

MARLENA
It wasn’t your father’s fault.

SAMI
He knew Lucas was in danger and he did nothing.

MARLENA
Roman, is that true.

ROMAN
Lucas told us what the guards were doing at Statesville.

KATE
What are you talking about?

MAGGIE
When Mickey picked him up, Lucas had been badly beaten.

KATE
Why didn’t anyone tell me?

MARLENA
What are going to do about it?

ROMAN
We didn’t get a chance to do anything. Kate, Lucas didn’t want you to get upset.

KATE
Upset? Why should I get upset? Just because the people who were suppose to protect my son--

The door leading to the surgery ward opens and Miles walks out. Sami intercepts him.

SAMI
How’s Lucas?

MILES
He is going to be fine. We stopped the bleeding and repaired the tear in his lung. We also put pins in his ribs to keep them from doing more damage. He’ll have issues going through metal detectors, but he’ll be fine.

SAMI
Are you sure?

MILES
Yes. He’ll be in recovery for the next few hours then you’ll be able to see him.

SAMI
Thank you.

KATE
Roman, are you going to put a guard on his door?

The elevator opens up and Bo walks out.

ROMAN
Definitely.

Miles walks away. Kate follows.

SAMI
Then what? What’s to stop them from trying again after he‘s released?

MAGGIE
Philip said Chloe was in danger as well. They saw her with Lucas.

MARLENA
Wouldn’t that mean that Sami and the twins are also in danger?

JOHN
Not at the mansion. I’ll double security.

ROMAN
The whole family could go to a safe house.

KATE
(To Miles)
I would like to thank you for saving my son.

MILES
Just doing my job.
(Embarrassed)
I feel I should apologized.

KATE
For what?

MILES
My son.

KATE
I heard. I have another grandson.

MILES
I thought I raised him with ethics.

KATE
(Putting her hand on his arm)
We do the best we can. Then it’s up to them.

MILES
That’s very generous. I wish the hospital board thought the same. It seems I’ve got some ‘xplaining to do.

KATE
Why? You didn’t do it?

MILES
He had some past issues with drugs. But he went through a program. He said he was clean. I recommend him for the job.

KATE
Every parent wants to see the best in their child.

MILES
Even if it’s not the reality.

KATE
I’ll do what I can.

MILES
Thanks. I need to check on Lucas.

KATE
If you need to talk...

MILES
I might take you up on that.

Miles walk back into the surgical ward. Bo has walked up to Roman

BO
I need to talk to you.

ROMAN
Can’t it wait?

BO
No.

Roman looks at the other. He nods. Bo and Roman discretely walk to the other side of the room.

Rob Tallbert is dead.

ROMAN
(A little to loudly attracting the attention of the others)
What?
(Lowering his voice)
What happened?

BO
He was taking the disk from the bank to the station. He was attacked at the back door. The disk is gone. His neck was broken--by a professional.

ROMAN
Did you check the security tape?

BO
It shows Rob driving up and then walking out of range.

ROMAN
What about the other person?

BO
Not even a shadow. He or she knew exactly where the camera’s boundaries were.


ROMAN
They have someone on the inside.

BO
Obviously.

ROMAN
But who?

BO
No idea. Abe is notifying his wife.

Marlena walks up.

MARLENA
Whispering is just scaring Sami and making the rest of us very nervous.

ROMAN
(Reluctantly to Bo)
They’re going to find out eventually.

BO
I’ll leave you to it. I’m going to have start investigating our own.

Bo leaves.

MARLENA
What does he mean? Roman?

ROMAN
(Addressing the group)
We have a problem. Officer Rob Tallbert was murder. He was taking evidence to the station. It’s gone. The murderer knew how to elude the security cameras.

JOHN
You have a mole.

ROMAN
We’ll find them.

KATE
What about Lucas in the mean time?

SAMI
Lucas is still isn’t safe.

ROMAN
That takes the safe house off the table.

JOHN
The mansion is still an option.

MAGGIE
Not if a police officer is involved.

ROMAN
That’s not a certainty. It could have just been a coincidence.

JOHN
A lucky break? Who you trying to fool? Us or yourself?

ROMAN
I’m not trying to fool anyone. Just trying to be realistic and keep everyone safe.

SAMI
What are we suppose to do? Stay locked up in the mansion. Lucas just got out prison.

ROMAN
Calm down. We think of something.

SAMI
Why does everyone keep telling me to calm down? I have a legitimate reason to panic!

MAGGIE
How is that working out for you? Is it helping the situation?

SAMI
I love him.

MARLENA
So do we. All of us. And panicking is going to keep him safe.

SAMI
Okay. What do we do? What options do we have if we can’t trust the police?

ROMAN
Sami, don’t say that. We don’t know for sure.

KATE
I hate to agree with Sami. But what can we do?

JOHN
You could leave town.
CUT



Technorati Tags:
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: