Wednesday, May 04, 2022

New Wrinkle on an Old con

Several months ago, I was approached on Linked In by a woman, who represented an investment company. As their representative, she wanted to know more about Kaleidoscope Film and Television. I sent her the information she requested. She loved the concept of producing projects based on age, gender, and ethnic diversity. Having a background in film production, she saw the value of financially backing a studio as opposed to individual projects.

The talks rapidly progressed. However, with each meeting, the topic shifted away from Kaleidoscope Film and Television to become more about their sustainable communities project. Each time, they focused on how intertwining the projects would give both added value. I would redirect the conversation back to the studio, but they always seem to find a way to intertwine the topics. At the end of the conversations, I would ask their level of interest in investing in Kaleidoscope. They always claimed to be interested and the negotiations continued.


Their sustainable community concept focused on hydroponics and on refurbishing existing structures to create independent healing communities. Their plans were very grandiose and rapidly expanding. They claimed to have the backing of multiple states and several other countries. On paper, their concept looked amazing. However, when you really listened to what was being said and not said, things didn't add up. The devil was definitely in the details. I started seeing red flags on the field.


Our last conversation began as the last several ones had before. However, instead of allowing the topic to be diverted, I asked straight up how much they would be investing in Kaleidoscope. Again they started to how profitable their sustainable communities will be; however, they took it a step further by claiming that combining our brands would benefit my investors. I thought I had misunderstood and asked for clarification. They wanted my other investors to support their project; after which they would invest in Kaleidoscope. At that moment, we were done.


Their scheme was a new twist on bank guarantees and money leasing. They slow-played it, saying the right things to string me along. When pushed they revealed who they were. Would I have preferred them to be real? Of course! But since I never stopped looking for investors—and never will until the check clears, I lost nothing, not even time.

No comments: