Monday, May 12, 2008

If I was the Head Writer on Day of Our Lives--Part Seven

INT: TONY’S BEDROOM: NIGHT
Tony is asleep in bed. He is restless. In his dream, he awakes to see the shadow of a woman standing at the foot of his bed.

TONY
I know you.

Although her features are hide by shadows, she is petite and seemly fragile. Her dark hair is piled high on her head.

WOMAN
(With a southern accent)
Yes. You do Tony. Where is Stephano?

TONY
I thought you were dead.

WOMAN
I am now. But I lived for a long time after everyone gave up on me. Is he still alive?

TONY
Yes and no. Why did you do it?

WOMAN
I didn’t. Stephano took my life from me.

TONY
I thought you--

WOMAN
He locked me alone in a room and left me to wither until death freed me. He took my life and everything I held dear to my heart.

TONY
If you a looking for justice, you’re too late. He’s locked a coma. He might have locked you in a room, but he is locked in his body. He knows nothing. Sees nothing.

WOMAN
Where?

TONY
In a hospital, not far from here.

The woman turns to leave.

Wait! I don’t understand. If you didn’t die, does that mean--
WOMAN
Good bye Tony. True love never dies when you don’t stop looking.

TONY
Don’t leave. You have to tell me.

The woman fades into the shadows. Tony suddenly awakes; tear stream down his cheeks.

INT: EJ BEDROOM: NIGHT
The bedroom is dark except for the moonlight filtering in through the curtains. It casts a beam across the bed and onto the Stephano's portrait on the opposite wall. EJ is peacefully asleep in bed. The woman's shadowy figure walks out of the darkness. She steps into the moonlight, yet only the knife in her hand casts a shadow.
CUT

INT: DIMERA STUDY: NIGHT
Sami has fallen asleep on the couch while reading college information booklets. The baby monitor is beside her.
CUT

INT: DIMERA ENTRANCE WAY: NIGHT
Marlena and John walk in the front door. John nuzzles her neck from behind and closes the door. She spins around and lightly brushes her lips against his cheek.

MARLENA
I had a good time tonight.

JOHN
(Pulling her closer)
It doesn't have to be over.

MARLENA
(She doesn't pull away)
I have an early day tomorrow.

JOHN
Wanna neck?

MARLENA
Neck? At our age? That's for teenagers.

JOHN
You're a teenager to me.

MARLENA
As tempting as that is...

He kisses her and she responds.

JOHN
You were saying.

MARLENA
I can't remember--Right. I have to go to bed.

JOHN
Wonderful idea.

MARLENA
No.

JOHN
If it's not a wonderful idea, why do it?

MARLENA
It is a good idea. To sleep.

JOHN
I have a better idea.

MARLENA
I bet you do.

JOHN
My couch.

MARLENA
Your couch.

JOHN
It's very comfortable. I could fix you a drink. Massage your--

MARLENA
A drink? That's the best you can do?

JOHN
(Leading her to the study)
You haven't seen the best that I can do--yet.

MARLENA
(Seeing Sami)
We seem to have company.
CUT

INT: EJ'S BEDROOM: NIGHT
The woman stands at the foot of EJ bed, torn between staring at EJ and Stephano's portrait. She walks to stand in front of it. Angrily, she lashed out out with the knife, slashing the portrait and knocking it off the wall. The noise wakes EJ. He sits up in bed.

EJ
Sami?

The woman retreats into the shadows and disappears. EJ turns on the light and jumps out of bed to examine the damaged portrait. The knife lies on the floor. Angrily, he picks it up and walks toward the door.
CUT

INT: DIMERA STUDY: NIGHT
John and Marlena lean over the back of the couch, watching Sami sleep.

MARLENA
Best laid plans--

JOHN
That was the plan.

MARLENA
John!

JOHN
Didn't she say something about staying on the other side of the house?
(Taping Sami's shoulder)
Hey. Little Blondie. Wake up.

MARLENA
Careful. You don't want to scare her.

JOHN
Yes. I do. Hey!

Startled, Sami suddenly wakes. Grabbing for the monitor, she slips and awkwardly rolls on to the floor.

I though you were going to stay on the other side of the house.

SAMI
Huh? The twins.

MARLENA
They're fine.

SAMI
What planet is this?

JOHN
Mars in Venus.

MARLENA
John!

JOHN
Okay. Venus in Mars.

SAMI
I fell asleep.

JOHN
Obviously.

SAMI
I don't have an internet connection yet. So I used your to download some college information.

EJ
(Off screen screaming)
Samantha!

JOHN
Don't you have to finish high school first?

SAMI
Now what does he want?
(Going to the door)
EJ, I'm in here. I have to apply early if I want to get in.

EJ comes running downstairs, carrying the knife.

What are you doing with that?

EJ
Like you don’t know!

MARLENA
EJ, what are you doing with that knife?

EJ
Ask Samanatha. She brought it to my room.

SAMI
I did not!

EJ
I saw you. You destroyed my father’s portrait.

SAMI
I didn’t.

EJ
I saw you!

SAMI
But I didn’t!

EJ
Just now.
(Throwing the knife at Sami’s feet)
If it hadn’t fallen and woke me up, were you going use it on me next?

JOHN
Just now?

EJ
Yes. I followed her out of my room.

MARLENA
It couldn’t have been Sami. She was alseep on the couch when we got home.

EJ
She must have ran down before you came in.

JOHN
No. We watched her sleep on my couch.

SAMI
You watched me sleep. How creepy is that?
JOHN
You drool.

SAMI
I do not!

MARLENA
Sami, yes you do.

JOHN
(Picking up the knife)
Maybe it was the evil spirit.

SAMI
More like EJ making up something else to blame on me.

JOHN
As entertaining as your drama is, say good night and go away. Marlena and I have plans for this couch.

SAMI
Eww. I really don’t need that image in my head.

MARLENA
How do you think you got here?

SAMI
I know. But it’s not something anyone wants to think about.

MARLENA
That’s childish.

SAMI
Oh, yea. Just image your parents doing what you were just thinking about.

JOHN
I never knew my father.

MARLENA
That wasn’t very nice. I’m going to bed.

JOHN
Marlena?

MARLENA
Night John.

Marlena goes upstair.

JOHN
Thanks a lot.

SAMI
I’d better check on the twins.

JOHN
You couldn’t have had thought of it sooner?

EJ
(Grabbing Sami’s arm)
I know it was you.

JOHN
Let her go Junior.

Sami pulls away and follows Marlena up the stairs.

I don’t know what you think you saw. But it couldn’t have been Sami. Marlena and I had been home a few minutes before we found her sleeping on the couch.

EJ
I saw her.

JOHN
Sleep walk much.

EJ
(Walking out)
I thought you were the house zombie.

JOHN
Not any more.
CUT

INT: BO AND HOPE’S LIVING ROOM: EARLY MORNING
Bo runs downstairs, buttoning his shirt and carrying his socks.

BO
I can’t believe we forgot to set the alarm.

HOPE
(Off screen)
We are so late. Did you call the sitter? Maybe she can pick up Ciara at the station.

BO
Not yet.
(Flips open his phone. The doorbell rings)
Now what?

He opens the door. Doug and Julie stand outside

DOUG AND JULIE
Surprise!

BO
Doug? Julie?

HOPE
(Coming downstairs carrying Ciara)
Is that the door?

DOUG
Where’s my little princess?

HOPE
Daddy? Julie? What a wonderful surprise!

JULIE
We couldn’t wait to bring over the gifts and share our news.

HOPE
News. What news?

BO
I’ll call the sitter on the way in. It’s good to see you. But I’m real late. We over slept.

DOUG
Wait. This will just take a second.

JULIE
Maggie asked Doug-

DOUG
With a little arm twisting from you.

JULIE
You loved it.

HOPE
What?

JULIE
Maggie asked Doug to sing at Chez Rouge.

DOUG
When we’re in town.

BO
That’s great! I hate to run.
(Kisses Ciara and Hope)
I’ll see you at the station.
(To Doug and Julie)
Let have dinner tonight.

DOUG
Tonight at Chez Rouge for my premiere performance.

BO
Deal. See you later Fancy Face. I’ll let Abe know you’ll be late.

Bo leaves.

HOPE
That’s great Daddy. I look forward to it. But now this little one has to go to the sitter and I have to get to work.

JULIE
We’ll take care of her. That way she can open her presents.

HOPE
You’re spoiling her.

DOUG
Spoil brings up such nasty images. I prefer overly indulged.

HOPE
Keep it up and you’ll take all the fun out of exploring the world herself. She has something from almost every corner of the world.

DOUG
Not yet. But we’re working on it.

HOPE
Only one for now.

JULIE
Party pooper.

DOUG
I understand. We’ll save the rest for later.

JULIE
Aren’t you running late?

HOPE
Are you sure? She’s been fussy.

JULIE
(Taking Ciara)
Sure. Of course. Love you. Now go away so we can start the over indulging.

HOPE
Julie.

DOUG
(Leading Hope to the door)
I love you.

HOPE
I love you too. Bye-bye sweetie. I love you.

JULIE
Have a good day at work.

HOPE
Call me if you change your mind.

DOUG
(Opening the door)
Be safe. See you later.
(He kisses her cheek and gentle pushes her out)
Better hurry. But be safe.

HOPE
Daddy?

Doug closes the door.

DOUG
On to the gifts.

HOPE
(From the other side of the door)
I heard that.
CUT

INT: KIRIAKIS DINING ROOM: MORNING
Philip is the first one to enter the room. He pours himself a cup of coffee. Henderson brings in the morning paper.

PHILIP
Good morning. I just want coffee.

HENDERSON
(Offering him the paper)
There is something you might find interesting on the front page.

PHILIP
I’ll read it later.

HENDERSON
I think you knew him.

Henderson Open the paper to the front page and holding it out to Philip. The headline reads, “Iraq Vet Dies in Suspicious Car Accident”

PHILIP
(Taking the paper)
Jamie. Jamie Merkle. We graduated high school together.

VICTOR
(Walking in)
Henderson. Coffee please. Who?

PHILIP
Jamie Merkle.

VICTOR
His father and I kept in touch after the two of you finished basic. He contacted his parents more often. Isn’t he back?
PHILIP
He was killed in a car accident yesterday.

VICTOR
That’s too bad. He was a good kid.

PHILIP
The accident is listed as suspicious. It doesn’t give many details.

VICTOR
I’ll have to call his father. It got to be hard on him. To just get him back only to loose him so quickly.

PHILIP
(Giving the paper to Victor)
There has to more to it.

VICTOR
Let me know what you find out.

PHILIP
Who said I was going to investiage?

VICTOR
You’re my son. And I wouldn’t let questions go unanswered.

PHILIP
I’ll stop in at the police station on the way in. See if they know more.
CUT

INT: PRISON CONFERENCE ROOM: MID MORNING
Mickey is pulling legal briefs out of his brief case, while he waits for Lucas. He also pulls out a ziplock baggie of Alice’s donuts. The door on the opposite room opens. Lucas walks in followed by a guard.

LUCAS
Mickey, I didn’t expect to see you. Is there something wrong?

MICKEY
No. There is something right.

LUCAS
Is Sami and the twins okay?

GUARD
You’ve got 15 minutes.

MICKEY
I’m this man’s lawyer. We’ll take as long as we need. If you have a problem with that check with the warden.

The guard stands his ground.

This is a private conversation between client and his attorney. If you don’t want me to make an official compliant, you close the door behind you.

The guard leaves.

LUCAS
Mickey, don’t piss him off. He’s not exactly the forgiving kind.

MICKEY
It no longer matter what he likes or doesn’t like.

LUCAS
I have to live here.

MICKEY
Not after noon today. I talked to the Govenor. Your sentence has been commuted.

LUCAS
What?

MICKEY
You’ve been pardoned.

LUCAS
What about Sami and the twins. Stephano will--

MICKEY
Stephano isn’t in the position to hurt anyone.

LUCAS
But that doesn’t mean that his goons won’t take revenge.

MICKEY
That’ s not going to happen.

LUCAS
You don’t understand. I plead guilty to protect my family.
MICKEY
I know. I talked to Will.

LUCAS
You keep him out of this.

MICKEY
He will be. Only the three of us know.

LUCAS
If EJ ever found out.

MICKEY
He won’t. Trust me. That’s why I fought for the pardon.

LUCAS
Does Sami know?

MICKEY
Roman is going to tell her this morning. She’s living with John and Marlena at the DiMera mansion.

LUCAS
John’s dead.

MICKEY
You have a little catching up to do.
CUT

INT: DIMERA STUDY: MID MORNING
John is working at his computer. The doorbell rings.

JOHN
Rolf!

ROLF
(Off camera)
I’ll get it
CUT

INT: DIMERA ENTRANCE WAY: MID MORNING
Rolf opens the door. Roman is on the other side.

ROMAN
Shouldn’t you be in jail?

JOHN
(Walking in)
I needed a butler. What’s up?

ROMAN
I have some good news for Sami.

JOHN
Rolf, go get her.

ROLF
She’s in those rooms.

JOHN
Suck it up and go tell her she has a guest.

ROLF
Very well.

Rolf reluctantly walks up the stairs

JOHN
Coffee/

ROMAN
Sure.
They walk toward the study.
CUT

INT: DIMERA STUDY: MID MORNING

Roman pours himself a cup of coffee.

ROMAN
I’m having a hard time getting use to you living here.

JOHN
I’m not have any problems. I like it.

ROMAN
I can see that. John, about the docks.

JOHN
Oh goody. Another person giving me unwelcome business advice.

ROMAN
Just be careful. You still mean a whole lot too many people. Including me. We don’t want to see you get hurt.

JOHN
Now is that the old me or the new me?

ROMAN
I just see the one man.

JOHN
Little Blondie has been sharing some of my past with me. If I was in your place, I wouldn’t have been so forgiving.

ROMAN
I don’t know why she did that, but that was a long time ago.

JOHN
I can be very persuasive.

SAMI
(Walking into the room)
Dad, what a surprise.

ROMAN
I have a better one. Lucas is being released at noon today.

SAMI
He is? How?

ROMAN
The governor pardened him. You don’t look happy.

SAMI
I am. I’m just surprised.

ROMAN
Mickey drove out to pick him up. You should see him in a few hours.

SAMI
I had to give up our apartment.

ROMAN
We’ll work something out.

SAMI
John said the twins and I could stay here.

JOHN
Don’t look at me. I let you keep the cat.

SAMI
John, Ali needs to be with her father.

JOHN
What am I running here a Christian Charity?

ROMAN
Well, you were a priest.

JOHN
(With sexual untones)
Thank God I forgot that.

SAMI
John, I still don’t need that image in my head.

ROMAN
Have you changed the way you feel about Lucas?

SAMI
I love him with my whole heart.

ROMAN
Then what is it? Haven’t you forgiven him?

SAMI
I want to. He lied to me.

ROMAN
After all the times to you, lied--

JOHN
Maybe she is having a hard time forgiving, because everyone keeps throwing her past into her face. It’s hard to forgive others if you never have been forgiven.

ROMAN
Are you saying that Marlena and I were bad parents?

SAMI
They were terrific parents.

ROMAN
John, are you saying that was a bad father.

SAMI
It was me. I was bad seed.

ROMAN
Is that how you really feel?

SAMI
I’ll never be able to make up for what I did.

JOHN
Let’s make this simple. I forgive you. And since you brought up the priest thing--I also absolve you.

ROMAN
Your mother and I have always loved you.

SAMI
You just didn’t like me much.

JOHN
So which husband do you want to live with?

SAMI
I never stopped loving Lucas.

JOHN
What about EJ?

SAMI
What about him? Once the immigration thing is over, so is the marriage. The only reason I haven’t divorced him already is that I didn’t want to keep him away from Johnny like I did to Will and Lucas.

EJ
(Walking down the stairs)
Technically darling, I still have legal custody of Johnny.

SAMI
What are you saying?

EJ
He’s my son.

SAMI
I’m his mother.

EJ
I don’t want Lucas living under the same roof as us.

ROMAN
You have nothing to say about it.

EJ
On the contrary. It is you who has nothing to say.

JOHN
Remember me. The homeowner. On whose good graces, you have food and shelter.

EJ
Like you would let me forget.

JOHN
Good. Now that we have an understanding. John’s House of vagabonds and stragglers can find room for one more.

SAMI
John, thank you.

ROMAN
To answer your question. The old and the new are more a like than you think.

JOHN
No reason to be rude.

EJ
I have to go to work.
EJ leaves, slamming the door behind him.

JOHN
I’m going have to talk to my nephew about his manors.

CUT





Technorati Tags:
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: