Friday, May 30, 2008

If I was Head Writer of Days of Our Lives--Part 14

INT: VICTOR KIRIAKI'S STUDY: EARLY EVENING
Victor is sitting in his chair reading the newspaper and drinking a brandy. He is dressed for an evening out. Philip walks in and fixes himself a drink.

VICTOR
How was your day?

PHILIP
I don't know how to answer that. It's not the business. Jamie Merkle committed suicide.

VICTOR
Suicide? Are you sure?

PHILIP
His father confirmed it. His mother found his note.

VICTOR
I don't understand. He was always such a level headed kid. Jim must be taking it hard.

PHILIP
His very angry. With just cause.

VICTOR
Of course. His only son just killed himself. Any father--

PHILIP
He isn't angry with Jamie. The system let them down. Jamie had a closed head injury and PTSD. He was in crisis.

VICTOR
Why didn't he ask for help?

PHILIP
He did. The system is over loaded. There are just too many in need and too little resources. The Merkles could afford to get private help.

VICTOR
Like what I did for you.

PHILIP
Exactly. Seeing me only reminded him what could be done and wasn't.

VICTOR
So now you are feeling guilty.

PHILIP
You can say that.

VICTOR
How is that working out for you?

PHILIP
Not so well.

VICTOR
What are you going to do about it?

PHILIP
What can I do?

VICTOR
You're my son. Start thinking outside the box. Well?

PHILIP
I don't know what you are asking?

VICTOR
You are head of a multi-billion dollar corporation with connections not only coast to coast but around the world.

PHILIP
Not even all our money can fix the problem. There aren't enough facilities or experts to staff them.
VICTOR
Do you think these are the first vets to come home physically and emotionally damage? The best experts are those who have been there. I remember reading about a rehabilitation hospital that was built in Texas solely on donations. You could do the same here. Only instead of focusing on physical disabilities, it would deal strictly with brain and emotional issues.

PHILIP
That’s a great idea. Except one hospital wouldn’t be enough.

VICTOR
Agreed. However, several strategically places around the country would give access to any vet who need it free of charge.

PHILIP
I’ll go change and we can hammer out the details during dinner.

VICTOR
You’ll be dining with the she-devils alone tonight. I’m dining out.

PHILIP
I thought you were over dressed. Let me change and I will go with you.

VICTOR
You weren’t invited.

PHILIP
You got a date?

VICTOR
You can say that. Doug Williams is premiering tonight at Chez Rouge. It took great deal for me to get Caroline and me a table.

PHILIP
So we’ll just make it a foursome with Chloe and me.

VICTOR
(Walking toward the door)
Sometimes son, you are a little dense.

Victor exit. Moments later Chloe walks in.

CHLOE
What did you say to Victor? He didn’t insult me when he passed me in the hallway..

PHILIP
He called me dense.

CHLOE
Why?

PHILIP
I wanted to have dinner with him and Caroline.

CHLOE
You tried to invite yourself on his dinner date with Caroline. You are dense.

PHILIP
They are just friends.

CHLOE
And past lovers. Get real Philip. They may be older, but they’re not dead.

PHILIP
I wanted to pick his brain.

CHLOE
What was so important that it wouldn’t wait until tomorrow.

PHILIP
A project for the vets.

CHLOE
Tell me. Maybe I could help. Don’t look at me like that. I’m not stupid

PHILIP
I didn’t say that. Okay. Remember Jamie Merkle from high school.

CHLOE
I read in the paper he was killed in a car accident.

PHILIP
It wasn’t an accident. He crashed his car deliberately.

CHLOE
Jamie killed himself?

PHILIP
He couldn’t get the help he needed when he got back. There aren’t enough funds or facilities for all the vets in need.

CHLOE
And you and Victor want to change that?

PHILIP
That’s the idea. To raise awareness and funds to create new facilities.

CHLOE
Big project even for the two of you.

PHILIP
I know.

CHLOE
So why do it yourself. Ever hear of Comic Relief, Live Aid, and Farm Aid?

PHILIP
In Salem?

CHLOE
With Victor’s connections, you could make it nation wide.

PHILIP
He doesn’t know many stars.

CHLOE
No but he knows people who own TV stations. It could be a combination of Comic Relief and the Labor Day Telethon. Get everyone involved. I still have a few friends in the opera world and one or two in the music world. They are always willing to help.

PHILIP
Do you think you could do it?

CHLOE
We can talk about it over dinner. Go get changed.

PHILIP
For what?

CHLOE
We’re going out.

PHILIP
Out?

CHLOE
Didn’t I tell you. I’m singing a duet with Doug Williams. I talked Maggie into letting me audition to sing at Chez Rouge.

PHILIP
No you didn’t. Does my father know?

CHLOE
No. Why?

PHILIP
That’s where he’s taking Caroline.

CHLOE
So he’ll just have to be surprised like everyone else. Remember they’re on a date. You can talk to him tomorrow. Go get dressed.

PHILIP
(Pulling her to him)
Little pushy aren’t you.

CHLOE
I thought you liked it when I was pushy.

PHILIP
I do. Especially when you’re undressed.

They kiss.

CHLOE
I wonder if Doug Williams knows people who would like to help?

PHILIP
I kiss you and you think of Doug Williams? I must be loosing my touch.

CHLOE
You’re just as sexy as ever. But this is the first thing in a long time that I feel excited about being involved with.

PHILIP
Now I don’t excite you?

Chloe spins him around and passionately kisses him.

CHLOE
You’re sexy. I’m excited. Can you get changed now so we can go talk to Doug? It’s your project. Chop Chop. We don’t to be late.

Chloe exits

PHILIP
That’s not what I had in mind
CUT

Technorati Tags:
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: