Friday, May 16, 2008

If I was the Head Writer for Days of Our Lives Part Ten

INT: ABE'S OFFICE: MID DAY
Abe is working behind his desk, making notes and reading reports. Philip walks up to his office door and knocks.

PHILIP
Abe?

ABE
(Looking up)
Philip.

PHILIP
(Walking in)
I read in the paper about Jamie Merkle.

ABE
(Standing up and walking around the desk)
It's too bad. Surviving three tours in Iraq and dying just a couple of weeks after coming home. Did you know him?

PHILIP
We went through boot camp together and we served together for a short time my first tour. What happened?

ABE
I was just reading the reports.

PHILIP
Why is did the paper say it was suspicious?

ABE
There weren’t any skid marks. He didn’t even try to stop.

PHILIP
Was there a problem with his brakes?

ABE
Not according to the report. They were in perfect working order. That why we are listing the accident as a suicide.

PHILIP
That can’t be right. Something else must have happen. Jamie was one of the strongest men I’ve ever met. He loved his family. He would have never hurt them like this.

ABE
War changes a man

PHILIP
No. Really?

ABE
Sorry. I’m just having a hard time rationalizing it myself. I don’t simple don’t understand why he would have done it. He was home. He lived through the worse of it.

PHILIP
It doesn’t mean that he made it all the way back.

ABE
I have to tell his family.

PHILIP
Are they coming here?

ABE
No. I wasn’t sure when the reports would be ready.

PHILIP
I’ll meet you there.

ABE
Are you sure?

PHILIP
He was my brother in arms. Yes. I’m sure. I need to know why.

ABE
Give me a few minutes. I’ll call ahead.

PHILIP
No problem. I have to call my office and cancel my afternoon. His parents still live on ninth?

ABE
819.

PHILIP
I’ll meet you there.
CUT

INT: WARDEN LESLIE GATE’S OFFICE: EARLY AFTERNOON
Mickey paces, while he waits for the guard to bring Lucas. Warden Gates sits behind his desk, trying to appear to be reading a report; however, he is watching Mickey

WARDEN GATE
It’s unusual for a pardon and release to come through so quickly.

MICKEY
This is a usual case. It’s nearly one. Where is Lucas Horton?

WARDEN GATE
He’s on his way.

MICKEY
The release order said noon.

WARDEN GATE
Sometimes it takes time for the paperwork.

MICKEY
Five minutes. In six, I’ll be on the phone to the Governor.

WARDEN GATE
I’ll take longer for you to walk to your car. Cell phones are contraband. You’ll be guilty of a misdemeanor if you are in possession of one. Shall I have a guard take you downstairs and search you?

MICKEY
Touch me and you will be brought up on charges of assault.

WARDEN GATE
Don’t try throwing your muscle around here. This is my prison. My word is law.

MICKEY
So you feet don’t get wet when it rains? You just walk across the top of the puddles.

WARDEN GATE
Something like that. I say what kind of treatment prisoners get. Not some politician who doesn’t know his ass from a hole in the ground.

MICKEY
Lucas was to get special protection.

WARDEN GATE
Horton got extra special treatment.

MICKEY
Why is that I don’t believe you?

WARDEN GATE
That’s your problem.
(Picking up the phone and dialing)
Where’s Horton? Get him up here. His lawyer is making me late for lunch.
(To Mickey)
He’ll be here in a minute. You can meet him in my reception room.

MICKEY
You never said what kind of extra treatment you gave him.

WARDEN GATE
The kind he deserved. Get out of my office.

Mickey picks up his brief case and walks out.
CUT

INT: WARDEN’S RECEPTION ROOM: EARLY AFTERNOON.
Mickey walks out of the Warden’s office as a guard leads Lucas in from the other door. Lucas is carrying a small suitcase. Uncomfortably walks to meet Mickey in the center of the room.

MICKEY
What’s wrong?

LUCAS
Nothing. Just get me out of here.

Mickey reaches out and touches Lucas shoulder. Lucas flinches.

Don’t. Not here.

MICKEY
Let me carry that for you.

GUARD
(Intervening)
The prisoner carries his own.

MICKEY
He is a free man. Get out of our way.

LUCAS
Mickey. Don’t. I can do it.

WARDEN GATES
(Walking out of his office)
What’s the problem?

MICKEY
My client has been hurt.

GUARD
He had an accident. He fell on the stairs.

WARDEN GATE
I seem to recall Horton had a lot of those.

MICKEY
The special treatment.
(To Lucas)
Let’s get you to the hospital.

WARDEN GATE
You can’t prove anything. A convicted felon’s word against the system means nothing.

Mickey leads Lucas out. Warden Gate walks into his office to the window. The guard follows.

GUARD
How did they make it happen so fast?

WARDEN GATE
It doesn’t matter.

GUARD
I’m not going to down for this alone.

Through the window, Mickey and Lucas are seen getting into Mickey’s car.

WARDEN
He’s just another con. I’m going to lunch.

The car starts and drives away.
CUT

EXT: ROAD SIDE PARK A FEW MILES DOWN THE ROAD: EARLY AFTERNOON.
Mickey’s car pulls in and stops. They get out.

MICKEY
(Taking out his phone)
Take off your shirt.

LUCAS
It can wait.

MICKEY
I have to document it now. Just do it.

Lucas takes off his shirt. From his shoulders to past his waste are both new and healing bruises of all sizes and shapes. The most recent ones are still red welts One on his back is in the shape of a fist. Mickey takes pictures and emails them before making a call. Lucas quickly puts his shirt back on.

Damn. Voice mail. Roman. I just sent you some pictures of Lucas. I’m taking him to University Hospital. When you get this meet us there.

He hangs up and offers Lucas the phone.

Do you want to call Sami?

LUCAS
I’m not ready to talk to her yet.

MICKEY
She’s called me twice already trying to find out when we‘d be back. She wants to see you to stay with her at the mansion.

LUCAS
It happened so fast, I didn’t have time to think about where I was going to stay. Sami wrote me about the apartment. I really don’t want to stay with my Mom. Not like this. She’ll go ballistic.

MICKEY
She’s not going to be the only one. Maggie and I have an extra room. Come stay with us. Until you decide what you want to do.

LUCAS
You sure it will be okay?

MICKEY
Maggie wouldn’t have it any other way.

LUCAS
I really need to talk to her.

MICKEY
I understand. I’ll call her and have her meet us. Once a doctor has examined you and the abuse has been documented, the two of you can find a meeting.

LUCAS
Thanks Mickey.

MICKEY
No problem.
(Dialing the phone)
Red. We’re on the way.


Lucas walks away from the car to the edge of the park. The park is on top of a small hill that over looks a lake. In the distance, there are a couple of boats; one has sails, while the other pulls a water skier. A group of teenagers on jet skis takes off from the shore below him. Their laughter makes Lucas frown. A breeze blows through his hair as he continues to watch them race toward the center of the lake. Mickey walks up.

Maggie is delighted.

LUCAS
(Nodding toward the teenagers)
I don’t regret it.

MICKEY
Let’s go.

LUCAS
No one can know about Will. It’s time for him to have a normal life.

MICKEY
Not from me. I’m your lawyer.
CUT

INT: HOSPITAL: EARLY AFTERNOON
Sami is leaving with the twins. Maggie is walking into the lobby.

SAMI
(Calling to her)
Maggie.
(She pushes the stroller to meet her at the elevator)
I’ve been leaving messages for Mickey. But he hasn’t called me back.

MAGGIE
I just talked to him. They’ll be back soon.

SAMI
Is he bringing Lucas to the mansion or do they want me to meet them somewhere?

MAGGIE
Is there something wrong with the twins?

SAMI
They’re fine. What’s wrong?

MAGGIE
What makes you think there’s something wrong?

SAMI
The way your acting. What’s wrong with Lucas?

MAGGIE
Sami. Mickey got your messages. Lucas doesn’t want to see your right now. He’ll be staying with Mickey and me.

SAMI
He can’t mean that.

Roman walks in the front door: seeing Sami and Maggie, he walks toward them.

I have to see him. He has to see the twins.

ROMAN
Hi Maggie. Sami what are you doing here? Are the twins okay?

SAMI
Their fine. Why are you here? Why are you both here?


Technorati Tags:
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: