Thursday, May 15, 2008

If I was the Head Writer at Days of Our Lives--Part Nine

INT: INSIDE LEXIE'S OFFICE: MID DAY
Lexie leads Sami and the twins inside.

LEXIE
Abe told me that Lucas has been pardoned.

SAMI
Yes. He's coming home this afternoon. Lexie, after everything that I've done--

LEXIE
We've both done things we aren't proud of.

SAMI
Me more so than you. I don't deserve it, but I didn't know who else to ask.

LEXIE
Ask what?

SAMI
The deportation was a lie.

LEXIE
What do you mean?

SAMI
There is no investigation. The only Burke in the US Immigration and Naturalization is a woman and she never heard of EJ.

LEXIE
Are you sure?

SAMI
Yes. I think they are going to be investigating.

LEXI
I didn't have anything to do with it.

SAMI
I know. But I got to thinking that if he could lie about this to stay in my life-

LEXIE
What else did he lie about?

SAMI
Exactly. He knew about every other DNA test

LEXIE
Do you think he changed the results of the test?

SAMI
Talk about my bad karma coming back.

LEXIE
What do you want me to do?

SAMI
Do the test again?

LEXIE
What about the result?

SAMI
I want the truth.

LEXIE
What if they stay the same?

SAMI
I just want the truth.

LEXIE
Even if they say EJ is the father.

SAMI
If EJ is Johnny's father, I won't keep him from his son.

LEXIE
And if he isn't?

SAMI
I want EJ out of my life.

LEXIE
He thinks he loves you.

SAMI
I don't love him. And if he loved me, he wouldn't continue to hurt me. When you love someone, you want them to be happy. Even if it is with someone else. It's taken a long time for me to learn that lesson. I hurt so many people--maybe I deserve-

LEXIE
No one deserves what he did to you.

SAMI
Lexie will you do the test?

LEXIE
What do you want me to do with the results?

SAMI
I just don't want anyone else to know the test is being done. Once the results are in, it doesn't matter who knows.

LEXIE
I'll walk it through myself. I have Lucas and EJ DNA on record. But I'll get new samples from the twins.

SAMI
Lexie, thank you.

LEXIE
It's time we all moved on.
CUT

INT: EVA'S HOTEL ROOM: MID DAY
EJ and Eva are sitting next to each other at a table. He is taking notes.

EJ
So the only evidence involving you in the plane crash is your confession to Bo and Hope?

EVA
Yes.

EJ
Why you were under the influence of mind altering drugs.

EVA
They were prescribed by my doctor.

EJ
But the drug did more harm than good. Instead of helping you heal, they made you more out of touch with reality.

EVA
I would do things that I knew were wrong but I couldn't stop myself. I'd get so fuzzy sometimes that I couldn't remember whole days. They would just be gone.

EJ
Did you tell the doctor.

EVA
He told me the only hope I had to get better was to take the drug. I did want to get better. EJ, you have to believe me. I didn't want to hurt anybody. The last time I could remember being happy was with Patch--Steve. I seem to get stuck there.

EJ
Yes, well

Eva reaches out and takes his hand. As naturally as if their hands were a matched set, their fingers interlock.

You always had the most beautiful hands.

EVA
I always loved it when you said that. It reminded me of the romance novels I loved so much. You were always my handsome knight that saved me.

EJ
Is that why you left me?

EVA
I didn't leave you. Daddy told me that I could no longer have you.

EJ
I thought he liked me.

EVA
He did. Your father came to talk to him. The next day he told me that I couldn't see you anymore. He wouldn't tell me why.

EJ
My father?

EVA
I kept waiting for you to come. I wished on the all the stars every night, hoping that one of them would be the magical one that would make you love me again. I didn't understand why just stopping loving me. We were going to run away and start a new life together away from both of our fathers. Then you went away. Without a word. Without saying good bye.

EJ
I never stopped loving you.

EVA
Then why didn't you come for me?

EJ
Father sent me away to university. I sent you letters. They were returned unopened. A few months later, Father told me you were engaged. I was so angry that I went off my head. All the women. They were me getting back at you. I wanted you to see other women wanting me...

EVA
That's when I turned to Patch--Steve. He made me laugh again. He made me feel beautiful and wanted.

EJ
(Kissing her fingertips)
It seem our fathers got what they wanted
(He releases her hand)
I'll argue diminished capacity. You doctor prescribed drugs that caused you to act in a reckless manor. Therefore, you aren't responsible.
(Abruptly standing)
I'll arrange for you to talk to psychiatrists. One would be good. Two would be better.
(Walking toward the door)
The more experts on our side the better.


EVA
EJ, are you happy?

EJ
Happy? I don't even know what that is any more.

EJ opens the door and leaves.

EVA
I know how you feel.
CUT

No comments: